Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dallasp438

Reaction score
My 96 came with a single core 34x17 1/4 and is the same width as the dual core I replaced it with. No cutting was needed.
Maybe that was an earlier TBI thing.
You must be registered for see images attach

if you still have a core support that has these embossed pieces jutting out then you don't have the max air flow to the factory HD Rad. I have a 98 gmc c1500 with factory HD cooling & it has the embossed pieces removed.

In the 2nd pic gives a rough outline where you should trim to get the proper size opening for HD air flow. Just follow the embossed line to trim. Easy right LOL.

GM done this in their infinite wisdom so don't blame the messenger LOL.

TheRedMamba

Reaction score

if you still have a core support that has these embossed pieces jutting out then you don't have the max air flow to the factory HD Rad. I have a 98 gmc c1500 with factory HD cooling & it has the embossed pieces removed.

In the 2nd pic gives a rough outline where you should trim to get the proper size opening for HD air flow. Just follow the embossed line to trim. Easy right LOL.

Awesome! I really appreciate the info! Well explained with excellent visuals. Cheers

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, I don’t have those pieces jutting out. I was only pointing out to you that even if you didn’t get the “HD” radiator from the factory, as I didn’t, you don’t necessarily have to cut what wasn’t/isn’t even there. Again, my original single core is dimensionally the same as the “HD”(dual core). It was a direct swap bolt in. Nothing was or is blocking airflow. Again, this is a 1996 K1500, maybe the C1500 were different.

dallasp438

Reaction score
No, I don’t have those pieces jutting out. I was only pointing out to you that even if you didn’t get the “HD” radiator from the factory, as I didn’t, you don’t necessarily have to cut what wasn’t/isn’t even there. Again, my original single core is dimensionally the same as the “HD”(dual core). It was a direct swap bolt in. Nothing was or is blocking airflow. Again, this is a 1996 K1500, maybe the C1500 were different.
The widest factory rad. that was in it from the factory is considered HD cooling so congrats on having the HD factory cooling Camen96. TheRedMamba's original rad. was the narrower rad. & in the pic he posted of the narrow rad. I could see the core not modified yet so I posted what I posted for people that didn't know & was replacing the non HD narrow rad. with the widest HD rad. As far as I know GM only had the single wide tube core for the HD rad. that they had used & the aftermarket produced the duel tube core but I'm not 100% on that but that's not the point of this post so I digress....

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The widest factory rad. that was in it from the factory is considered HD cooling so congrats on having the HD factory cooling Camen96. TheRedMamba's original rad. was the narrower rad. & in the pic he posted of the narrow rad. I could see the core not modified yet so I posted what I posted for people that didn't know & was replacing the non HD narrow rad. with the widest HD rad. As far as I know GM only had the single wide tube core for the HD rad. that they had used & the aftermarket produced the duel tube core but I'm not 100% on that but that's not the point of this post so I digress....
GM definitely used a dual core in some applications. My 99 Tahoe had one in it. 34" x 17" x 2.25" core. Sucker was fairly expensive to replace as well. My brothers 99 Suburban had the same radiator in it but lacked the auxiliary transmission cooler and the 11" pusher fan.

Edit-This is the HD option in 1999 atleast and the HD cooling package got you an 11 bladed fan, severe duty clutch, the oil cooler, the added transmission cooler and the 11" pusher electric fan. Same as the Z-56 and Tahoe Limiteds had.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC the TBI trucks also had several different fan clutches used like the Vortecs. In the Vortec era, the non-ac trucks had a 6" clutch with almost no fins, the a/c trucks had a 6.5" clutch with fins and the HD cooling trucks had a 7.25" clutch. The largest clutch is the only thing I will use here in Texas along with the 11 bladed plastic fan that is unless I put a Duramax 9 bladed fan on it.

dallasp438

Reaction score
GM definitely used a dual core in some applications. My 99 Tahoe had one in it. 34" x 17" x 2.25" core. Sucker was fairly expensive to replace as well. My brothers 99 Suburban had the same radiator in it but lacked the auxiliary transmission cooler and the 11" pusher fan.

Edit-This is the HD option in 1999 atleast and the HD cooling package got you an 11 bladed fan, severe duty clutch, the oil cooler, the added transmission cooler and the 11" pusher electric fan. Same as the Z-56 and Tahoe Limiteds had.

The electric pusher fan as far as I knew was 7.4L equipped but It's possible that after 98 GM added it to more trucks. A lot of people usually added the el. pusher even if they had a sbc around my neck of the woods.

The HD cooling package we are referencing definitely had more equipment than just the rad.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The electric pusher fan as far as I knew was 7.4L equipped but It's possible that after 98 GM added it to more trucks. A lot of people usually added the el. pusher even if they had a sbc around my neck of the woods.

The HD cooling package we are referencing definitely had more equipment than just the rad.
Tahoes definitely had them, my PCM was programmed with the correct values to run it and it had the factory wiring and relay to run it. I think it was added to Tahoes after the Police package came around and Z/82 trailering was optioned.