Stumbling/hesitation problem....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help. I hopped in the truck today to go somewhere and it didn't seem to run right.

Around 2,000+ rpm it stumbles/hesitates underload. In neutral I can rev it up to somewhere around 3,000 and it sounds like a misfire.

That's there scoop. Where do I start first? There is also no check engine light.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from Robl@and!

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check fuel pressure. If its a tbi motor you will more thank likely not have a shreader valve on the fuel rail. If thats the case then you need an adapter to put in place of the fuel filter to hool up a pressure gauge. You may find that the filter is dirty and restrictive as well. If all of that checks out then I would determine which cylinder is misfiring. More info on the truck would be helpful. Is it a tbi or a vortech?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Pop the cap and have a look at the contacts and the rotor....

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine ran exactly like this when I got it. Could putt around town in it and run 50-55 but if I got on it it stumbled like it was missing on a cylinder or 2. Put a trailer on it and it protested, it drove like it was on a washboard road. Anything under about 2k rpm all was well, but you could feel it miss. Hooked up the scanner and the only code was a miss on #6, compression test showed 0 psi dry and 0 psi wet. Ended up being a bent exhaust valve on #6 cylinder.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
plugs wires cap rotor is where id start. First thing is make sure none of the wires have come loose at either end

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
So the clips that hold the wires at the do stick bracket fell apart and the wires were touching the bracket so I an assuming it was grounding out. Just need to find out where to get new clips.

Sent from Robl@and!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could you see it arcing while it was running? A spark plug wire grounding out like that will surely cause what you described. I would hit a junkyard for those clips.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yep makes sense id just leave the clip off and get a new wire

Sent from my LG-US730 using Tapatalk