L31 Intake Design / Build project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So... :hmm:
Does anyone have dimensions for the l31 ('98 350 vortec) intake (lower) manifold? I figured since I'm too mind boggled to effectively search the inter-cluster--net that maybe one of you fine lads could help me save $20 at the junkyard tomorrow. The stock one isn't being removed from the DD until the whole new setup is done or I'd bust out the guages.
Unfortunately, I can't say what is in mind yet, but pics are promised upon completion. I'll just hint it involves pretty much a marine intake on meth, roids and blow:********:. I'll let your imaginations do the rest for now.

Reaction score
And what's the deal with the 5.3 l51 intake? looks like a LS intake, but says Vortec on it... Inter-compatibility with l31? Do i waste $16 at the u-pull tomorrow? ..yeeeessss.... lol might cop a set of coilpacks and the fly by wire and and and

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no gen III intake will be compatible with the L31/L30's, they're completely different in regards to intake ports on the heads, bolting patterns, distributor, etc...they actually called most of the 5.3's and 6.0's 'vortec', I think they still do on some of them to this day. they even have a 'Vortec max' truck, its more of a trade name than anything else, not really a indication of any compatibility with the earlier Gen1e vortecs...I'm interested in what you're building though, I'm currently working on something as well, but I don't have measurements or anything available to me right now. if you're getting a L31 intake from the boneyard for $16, take it, thats a steal, and you'll need one for prototyping anyways.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
And what's the deal with the 5.3 l51 intake? looks like a LS intake, but says Vortec on it... Inter-compatibility with l31? Do i waste $16 at the u-pull tomorrow? ..yeeeessss.... lol might cop a set of coilpacks and the fly by wire and and and

They are LS engines. All the truck specific LS engines were still badged Vortec engines.

Reaction score
cool thanks guys. That's what I figured and found out. I was thinking well, sxxt, I'll just swap heads, no... different block completely..
Since the 5.3 mani was cheap and the guys down at the boneyard hook it up nice, I'll probably see what kind of mess I can make with all this plastic. maybe I'll get real creative and pull something out my crack to marry the two intakes or have fun trying. Hey, for gits and shiggles, will the valve cover fit? I know prob not, I just like the idea of mounting the coils there, and making it look .... stock... if you're never worked on a gmt4 lol
Edit: Remember when SBC was just that, a SBC, not an L-2423489???

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'eh SBC's have always had designations. there were L48's in the '60s and '70's...LM1 was the predecessor to the L05 TBI engine. ZQ3's from '70s corvettes...there was the original LT1 from 1970-1972 (separate from the LT1 GenII engines), L98's in the 1980's were the TPI engines in fbodies.....they all had differences between each other...not really any different than the L31/L30 which is still a SBC...just like the others there are some differences that make it an L31 instead of an L05 or any other SBC for that matter....it was however the last incarnation of the real small block chevy's before the GenIII's and gen IV's evolved and took it's spot....

the valve covers might work, I've never tried before. they're both centerbolt covers. but I don't know if the spacing will line up and fit right...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The valve covers won't fit. The mating surfaces are different shapes. Try making your own out of aluminum.

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always been curious about the idea of fabricating a LS intake to the upper Vortec L31 intake. Maybe possibly taking advantage of the front mounted TB and longer runner style intake. Idk, just a thought I had. I may actually give it a try if I finish the other thousands of projects I have going at once..... Keep up the inventive minds guys, nothing should ever be left well enough alone.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I've always been curious about the idea of fabricating a LS intake to the upper Vortec L31 intake. Maybe possibly taking advantage of the front mounted TB and longer runner style intake. Idk, just a thought I had. I may actually give it a try if I finish the other thousands of projects I have going at once..... Keep up the inventive minds guys, nothing should ever be left well enough alone.

Lonestarstunner, I assume that means you're a Texas boy, from whereabouts? I'm also mad-scientisting an intake, but it's for an old-school Pontiac using L31 and L29 parts...