Ypipe in the way of trans removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andyvr4

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this form I have a 1990 K 2500 light duty six lug with a 350 TBI and the 700r4 and have to replace the engine and transmission but my exhaust y-pipe runs under the transmission is it possible to slide the transmission forward with no engine in the truck without removing the exhaust as it is all welded together the only way to remove the exhaust from under the transmission is to cut it.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this form I have a 1990 K 2500 light duty six lug with a 350 TBI and the 700r4 and have to replace the engine and transmission but my exhaust y-pipe runs under the transmission is it possible to slide the transmission forward with no engine in the truck without removing the exhaust as it is all welded together the only way to remove the exhaust from under the transmission is to cut it.

If you need to change your engine, your crossover pipe needs to be removed from it somehow...

Anyways, I've never had to remove the exhaust to get to the transmission on a GMT400 but on other trucks, I just drop it down and swing it out of the way. Remove it from the exhaust hangers at the back if need be, and either push it ahead, back, to either side, whatever works.

I would drop it down and pull the motor and trans together. Less work.

Sent from somewhere between here and there

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
For one if your engine is out your exhaust should be free. 2. You can easily pull pull the trans with the exhaust intact.