Yet another 5.3 lm7 swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91_rs-teal

Reaction score
Hello i'm new an looking to buy my brothers truck. It is a 92 3/4 ton diesel with a blown engine. (parting out engine, PM me if ya need anything) I'm looking to buy and do a 5.3l lm7 swap and wondering what all I need to buy.

My main question is can the 4l80 work with the gen III GM engines???

I'm thinking from what ive looked up that i have to get entire drive train out of a newer truck basicly. as well as all the computers and harnesses.

I know i need motor mounts, fuel pump, fuel lines, different drive shaft yoke if i go different trans.

If anyone could help me out that would be great!

Doin my best not to get excited about the swap.

Thanks!

,Brandon

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a good swap, man I don't know about a 92 4L80E, I would check out LS1truck.com, I would bet the info you need is there, post up pics of your swap!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know the trans will bolt up but it's the wiring I don't know about, because I know the early 4L60E won't work either because of wiring differences.

91_rs-teal

Reaction score
what about the engine mounts Ive read a couple different things, thinkin i would need the 1" back mounts? or is that just 2wd?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/969/4595/10002/-1

harder finding 4wd drive swap info

and somehow come up with gas fuel lines....

wut else?

ive seen brackets for stock older style A/C to work... anyone have a link on that?

cturner

Reaction score
the computer on the new motor will only work with a 96 and up 4l80e, however from what I understand if you keep the old computer along with the new one it can work somehow lol I know not a lot of help

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
First off, if it has a body lift, you can run the engine to the trans bell housing, which is around 3-4" back. If you move the engine up, you can actually keep the factory a/c compressor location for the ls engine. You will not be able to do full length headers with less than a 6" suspension lift unless it has a solid axle swap. Shorty headers will work though. I would get the trans with the engine so you know it will work together and not have to hunt for random parts. The gmt400 transfer case will work as long as you get the gmt800 transmission to transfer case adapter. You can do it with just the ls engine controller, but youll need to have someone program the computer to work with the gmt400 cluster and to tweak other things.