xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 lb. is overkill, admittedly. I probably need a maximum of 5 lbs. for all my vehicle needs.

Two of my vehicles use R-134a, the other R-1234yf. I plan on getting a [third] vehicle that uses R-134a (2002-2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty).

So, in reality, much of the R-134a will just remain in the cylinder unused (cross my fingers the cylinder does not leak over time). I suppose it's better to buy a 30 lb. cylinder now at the current price rather than later since prices will inevitably increase in the future as it becomes more scarce.

Perhaps I can use the remaining R-134a as needed if my in-laws need MVAC work done.
I would think it would last quite awhile.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why Ford, and why such a specific year(s)?
I was originally looking at a Duramax (LB7) which would be from 01-03. Problem with the LB7 is the injectors fail, and it's $3000+ to replace all of them (with new injectors). And, they haven't actually figured out the exact problem and provided a permanent fix. So, it's multiple injector replacements over the life of ownership. In ten years, that may be 2 times, at least.

https://www.dieselogic.com/blog/lb7-diesel-fuel-injector said:
Considering that the LB7’s injector problems have been well-documented, GM responded by extending its original injector warranty to 7 years or 200,000 miles. However, a replacement injector’s lifespan is unpredictable. They may give you just 70,000 miles or even upwards of 200,000. However, on average, a replacement injector will last you between 80,000 to 100,000 miles.

Also the dashes on the early GMT800s are just as bad as the GMT400s, so that means shelling out $1000 for an uncracked replacement dash (once sourced).

I started researching other diesels. Dodge's interior build quality is the worst of all, so wrote off Dodge.

Ford's dashes are the best of the three — not uncommon to find an uncracked dash. 2003 was the last year of the 7.3L Power Stroke before Ford introduced the 6.0L Power Stroke mid-year. The injectors in the 7.3L (and maybe later models) have technology designed by Caterpillar; they are very robust and well designed. So, no need to worry about frequent injector replacements if the engine is maintained (i.e., oil changes, fuel filter changes, etc.).

The 2003 7.3L was the last year before EGR was introduced [at least in non-CA emissions 7.3Ls]. I don't want any emissions equipment, such as EGR, DPF. A catalytic converter is okay, as I can remove it without causing a CEL on the 7.3L (no pre and post-cat oxygen sensors, so the computer is unaware of a missing catalytic converter).

7.3L Power Stroke is one of the best engines ever made. Hands down. And Ford is the best selling truck in America for a reason. Don't get me wrong. I love my K2500 and will keep it. If I were looking into a truck with gasoline engine, I don't think I'd be looking into Ford. Would probably be going with another GM.

Just want to rebuild a diesel and I personally think the 2002-2003 Ford 7.3L is the best American diesel truck ever made. I would not completely rule out a 2000-2001, but I would like latest year as possible as they tend to have more options and less problems. With any model vehicle, the earliest years generally have more problems and less options than the later years.

By the way, it's not just about the dash and engine alone. It's total build quality. (Admittedly, the 4R100 transmission isn't as good as the 4L80-E. I'm not averse to driving the ZF-6 manual though.)

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 7.3s are great trucks. We had an 01 and the only issue we had was a fuel line that ran under the intake had a hole rubbed in it. I gave the parts guy at the Ford house a very generic description and he walked in the back and grabbed one. I guess it was common :Big Laugh:

And the radius arm bushing rattle in every one I’ve ever been in.

Dream truck would be a nbs gmc, Cummins/Allison combo and king ranch ford interior.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was originally looking at a Duramax (LB7) which would be from 01-03. Problem with the LB7 is the injectors fail, and it's $3000+ to replace all of them (with new injectors). And, they haven't actually figured out the exact problem and provided a permanent fix. So, it's multiple injector replacements over the life of ownership. In ten years, that may be 2 times, at least.

Also the dashes on the early GMT800s are just as bad as the GMT400s, so that means shelling out $1000 for an uncracked replacement dash (once sourced).

I started researching other diesels. Dodge's interior build quality is the worst of all, so wrote off Dodge.

Ford's dashes are the best of the three — not uncommon to find an uncracked dash. 2003 was the last year of the 7.3L Power Stroke before Ford introduced the 6.0L Power Stroke mid-year. The injectors in the 7.3L (and maybe later models) have technology designed by Caterpillar; they are very robust and well designed. So, no need to worry about frequent injector replacements if the engine is maintained (i.e., oil changes, fuel filter changes, etc.).

The 2003 7.3L was the last year before EGR was introduced [at least in non-CA emissions 7.3Ls]. I don't want any emissions equipment, such as EGR, DPF. A catalytic converter is okay, as I can remove it without causing a CEL on the 7.3L (no pre and post-cat oxygen sensors, so the computer is unaware of a missing catalytic converter).

7.3L Power Stroke is one of the best engines ever made. Hands down. And Ford is the best selling truck in America for a reason. Don't get me wrong. I love my K2500 and will keep it. If I were looking into a truck with gasoline engine, I don't think I'd be looking into Ford. Would probably be going with another GM.

Just want to rebuild a diesel and I personally think the 2002-2003 Ford 7.3L is the best American diesel truck ever made. I would not completely rule out a 2000-2001, but I would like latest year as possible as they tend to have more options and less problems. With any model vehicle, the earliest years generally have more problems and less options than the later years.

By the way, it's not just about the dash and engine alone. It's total build quality. (Admittedly, the 4R100 transmission isn't as good as the 4L80-E. I'm not averse to driving the ZF-6 manual though.)

Oh ok, makes sense on the 7.3l. I thought early dmax trucks were a one and done deal with the injectors though. I've considered an early Duramax, as well, but I dont see them a lot.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Lots of agreement in your statements. While the 7.3l is no huge powerhouse, it is reliable and does the work when maintained. Ford has had the best quality of interior since the early 90s, and Dodge is for sure garbage. The only thing that I've owned that has rivaled the Ford's insides is the 2003 Tundra I have now, its not necessarily better in all aspects, but at 233k with no rattles and a tight cab, I'm impressed...but no HD diesel option there.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 2003 Tundra I have now, its not necessarily better in all aspects
I agree, my 03 Tacoma’s interior seems bulletproof. Everything about it blows away my 96 K1500 as far as materials used. Apparently Toyota plastics are high quality and body and frame metal of the lowest grade!

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I agree, my 03 Tacoma’s interior seems bulletproof. Everything about it blows away my 96 K1500 as far as materials used. Apparently Toyota plastics are high quality and body and frame metal of the lowest grade!

The Tundra interior is even better/more plush than the Tacoma, I had an '01 Tacoma, and agree about the bombproof statement.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

So low in fact there's a factory recall floating around out there for the frames on certain years. My dad got his hands on one, took it to the dealer, and it got a brand new frame.