XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codyw20

Reaction score
I got this done. I ended up getting a new one, it melted right apart and installed like a champ. At least half of my play is gone and it is enjoyable to drive now and not a constant chore. I will eventually get the new steering gear box to get rid of the rest of the slop (it did have a little play when I finger turned it), but this shaft was indeed a must have and very easy to install even for a complete novice car mechanic like me.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completed this conversion today - with a slight variation. My local yard didn't have an XJ in the right year range, so I started looking at Grand Cherokees to see if I could make something work. I found a (I think) a 1997 model Grand Cherokee and both CV joints on the shaft were visible in the engine bay. On later models the shaft extends through the firewall and the top CV joint is inside the cabin, so a little long for this application.

The 1997 GC shaft is the correct length, but the end doesn't fit the boxed end of the steering column. My solution was to grab the top end of a stock GM shaft, the version that fits inside of the steering column. I had to shorten the end with the bolt hole by about a half inch so the bolt hole would line up. I then cut off the other end, leaving 3 inches or so sticking out of the column.
You must be registered for see images attach

The shaft has a rounded profile on two sides, so I used a grinder to flatten the profile so it would fit into the Grand Cherokee shaft.

A few pics of the final fit up.

The advantage to using this shaft is that it isn't necessary to break the two sections apart to make it work. The shaft is long enough that no mods are needed.

Last month I replaced the rest of the steering gear - inner/outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, center link, pitman arm, idler arm, idler bracket, and a quick ratio redhead gear box. This final mod cleans up any loose feel in the steering.

Last edited:

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you get a lot more vibration feeling through the steering wheel with the Jeep shaft. I'm thinking of trying it as I'm desperate to get rid of play but what gets me is that when these trucks were brand new, nobody complained about the rag joints so I would think a new rag joint would be sufficient at least unless you are running some really big oversized wheels and tires. The rag joint is on there for a reason, to be a disconnect between the chassis and wheel touch point as a part of the Noise Vibration and Harshness plan/design.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Do you get a lot more vibration feeling through the steering wheel with the Jeep shaft. I'm thinking of trying it as I'm desperate to get rid of play but what gets me is that when these trucks were brand new, nobody complained about the rag joints so I would think a new rag joint would be sufficient at least unless you are running some really big oversized wheels and tires. The rag joint is on there for a reason, to be a disconnect between the chassis and wheel touch point as a part of the Noise Vibration and Harshness plan/design.
I do not on mine. My truck is stock height and original tire sized.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

96taho

Reaction score
I completed this conversion today - with a slight variation. My local yard didn't have an XJ in the right year range, so I started looking at Grand Cherokees to see if I could make something work. I found a (I think) a 1997 model Grand Cherokee and both CV joints on the shaft were visible in the engine bay. On later models the shaft extends through the firewall and the top CV joint is inside the cabin, so a little long for this application.

The 1997 GC shaft is the correct length, but the end doesn't fit the boxed end of the steering column. My solution was to grab the top end of a stock GM shaft, the version that fits inside of the steering column. I had to shorten the end with the bolt hole by about a half inch so the bolt hole would line up. I then cut off the other end, leaving 3 inches or so sticking out of the column.

The shaft has a rounded profile on two sides, so I used a grinder to flatten the profile so it would fit into the Grand Cherokee shaft.

A few pics of the final fit up.

The advantage to using this shaft is that it isn't necessary to break the two sections apart to make it work. The shaft is long enough that no mods are needed.

Last month I replaced the rest of the steering gear - inner/outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, center link, pitman arm, idler arm, idler bracket, and a quick ratio redhead gear box. This final mod cleans up any loose feel in the steering.

Will this work on a 1996 2 door tahoe..??

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will this work on a 1996 2 door tahoe..??
It should work without issue. The main thing is to make sure that you're working with this style of steering shaft:

...and not this one:

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
What is the defect in the original steering shaft that you guys are removing? I had a 1990 with play in the steering but never did a lot about it before I sold it.

What is the original defect that the Jeep shaft fixes?

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd call it a "defect". I always thought of the rag joint as a wear item, that takes the abuse so that you don't wear out the rest of the shaft so quickly.

But it probably wasn't intended to be a replaceable wear item. Aren't replacement rag joints all aftermarket? I've never seen an OE offering. Pretty sure the only OE solution is to replace the entire shaft.

So my guess is that GM's intent was probably just to use the rubber disc to manage NVH, not to facilitate servicing of the shaft.