XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasTeal95

Reaction score
EVO has an extra joint in the steering shaft. This can allow the shaft to get out of line and can effect alignment. I replaced the rag joint in my 97, it is a lot better. It took out almost all of the slack.
Do you have a source and/or part number for the new rag joint? I have a XJ shaft that I haven't installed yet but I would like to replace my worn rag joint to have as a backup/spare steering shaft for a "just in case" situation. Or maybe if I decide to sell my truck later.

wingman

Reaction score
Well, I just attempted to fit an XJ shaft to my '92 C1500.
I got the old one out (with it's sloppy rag joint), only to discover that here in UK it seems that Jeep Cherokees with right hand drive use a different column, with a much smaller top shaft, which is way too small for my C1500.
Getting the pried-off GM shaft back on was a real pain.......
Guess I'll have to start searching all over again.
Most XJs here are RHD.....

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, so I did my Jeep shaft yesterday, and am very happy with it. Took me 10 minutes after I melted the plastic out of the Jeep one. I dont think Ive ever done a mod that was so stupidly easy.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What the hell is "EVO"?

Electronic Variable Orifice power steering. Boosts PS pressure at low speeds to make turning easier and then pulls pressure once you're up to speed so it's not too easy. Standard on GMT400s from '97 on up.