WTB: Working factory radio - late 90s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for a working factory radio/cassette player to put in my '99. Half the lights are out on mine and I'm hoping that someone has one sitting on a shelf in the garage that they want to get rid of for basically shipping costs. Let me know if you have anything!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You're in Texas if your username is anything to go by, whereabouts are you? Is there anything wrong with your current radio other than the lights being out? If your radio is okay you might be better off replacing the bulbs with LEDs than trying to find a used radio... Or pick up one of the remans on eBay or Amazon that have Bluetooth installed in them.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend replacing the lights bulbs (not with LEDs). Any factory head unit is 20+ years old and will inevitably require the bulbs to be replaced. Are you going to toss the replacement head unit once it needs its light bulbs replaced?

Search around. There are many shops that can replace the bulbs.

If I am not mistaken, the bulbs should be 8640 bulbs, like these.

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hadn't considered just replacing the bulbs because I didn't know it could be done. Any leads on instructions for taking the unit apart?

As far as remans on ebay, I've looked, but everything I've seen there has a CD player in the double DIN. I'm looking for one with a cassette since my CD player is in the aux section of the dash.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It's not a double din radio, but a 1.5. doubles didn't get put in the trucks until 2003.
The covers come off the radio, use a small nut driver (can't remember if they're 1/4" but I think they are), then you can disconnect the cable that runs to the front panel. The front panel comes off the radio body: pull all of the knobs straight off, then you can go around the edge of the face plate where the plastic snaps onto the metal - just pull the tabs up and the face forward. You'll probably break a few, it's not a game breaker unless you break all of them lol. Then inside, I think you'll need a 5 or 5.5mm driver to remove the circuit card from the plastic front, then you'll have access to the bulbs. You'll need soldering ability to replace them.