Working With SMC Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Long story short, I had the bed on my 91 C1500 painted last year. Within a month it started blistering from poor prep work. I took the truck to a pro paint shop and they recommended stripping the bed completely. Any tips or tricks to paint removal on these stepside beds.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
My concern sanding it would be going to far or making it wavy.

well yeah you need experience doing this type of job. Use a higher grit sand paper until you get good at it. Maybe 320 or whatever.

If you are just taking the paint and primer off and then taking it for them to paint you don't really need to worry about making it wavy if they do good work.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
My concern sanding it would be going to far or making it wavy.

That's why they make long boards and guide coats.

Before you touch paper to bed, look up some videos on Youtube, see if you can find the Paintucation series by Kevin Tetz, the guy is kind of a goof, but very knowledgeable and you'll learn a ton.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I took the weekend off so I should be able to pull it in and get started. I did the body prep on my 94 2500hd last year. The SMC just scared me a bit haha. Here's the stepside and my daily.

You must be registered for see images attach