wont shift past 2nd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a truck that has some tranny problems, it wont shift up past 2nd gear. Any chance its something simple/cheap?

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That what I figured, what would cause it to go into limp mode? Disconnecting the battery reset it? probably not that easy haha

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine doesnt want to now either, just started this last night on the drive home. Had no prior signs I noticed, was driving fine, parked for a couple hours then it started this crap.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
if i remember correctly thats a sign of the 1-2 shift solenoid not disengaging, you can pick one on ebay for less then $20, so if i were you id just order 2 of them and replace them both, it can be done just by dropping the pan

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
if i remember correctly thats a sign of the 1-2 shift solenoid not disengaging, you can pick one on ebay for less then $20, so if i were you id just order 2 of them and replace them both, it can be done just by dropping the pan
you are correct, theres a 1-2 and a 3-4 and a TCC which is your overdrive i believe

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
well i was sure that those components are used lol, but im saying i think the problem is the 1-2 solenoid is stuck on because it needs to disengage inorder to get past second gear

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yes that's all he needs I did it to mine.

I found a seller on ebay that had A/C Delco parts so thats who I went with.

Last edited: