Wiring harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend who is putting a 305 into a 1987 K10 that originally came with a diesel. He knows he needs to get a gas engine wiring harness, but what he doesn't know is if the harnesses have the same style plug on them where they bolt into the fuse box at the firewall. He's hoping that he doesn't have to replace the inside harness as well as the outside one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. He doesn't have the internet, so I told him I would post this for him. Thanks.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is the motor carburated? you can use the diesel harness same wires work for the starter and alternator.and all you need is keyed power to the distributer.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to call him to find out. He is going with the carburated engine. He would like to find out how to wire up the distributor though, so any advice on how to do that would be appreciated.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
on the fuse box there are spade terminals that you can plug onto with a female spade connector. with a test light see which one lights up when key is turned on. then make up a wire to go thru the firewall to power connection on the hei distibuter.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. Sounds easy enough. Shouldn't it provide current constantly, even when cranking? I know that vehicles shut off the electrical supply to other things while the truck is being cranked. I suppose he could check the empty spaces while cranking the truck though. How many amp fuse should he use?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you dont need a fuse its a direct plug to the fuse panel,and its constant power with the key on the only time you will not have power to the dist is with the key off which in turn shuts the motor off.
You must be registered for see images attach
see where it says ign test that point it should be key on power next to turn/bu fuse

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good deal. All he has to do is tap into that IGN and he should be good to go. I will let him know. Thanks.