Winter/Off road tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94 cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
try the definity at2s or the definity mts there ive ran both i think my at2s ran a little longer than the mts pepboys is the only place i know of that has em

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
If your looking for a decent priced mud tire I recommend Maxxis Trepadors. I offroad in snow and drive snow packed roads frequently during winter. Big wide muds don't always suck in the snow I would take muds over AT's any day for winter/off road conditions. I have been though Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar's, Pro Comp Xterrain's, BFG at's, and now maxxis trepadors on this truck. The Wrangler MT/R's were awful. Xterrain's were good but kinda expensive and not so great on ice. Bfg's were junk in the snow because they became rolling snow balls they can't shed the snow from the treads. My current trepadors are by far the best I have had experience with. These were all 35x12.5x17's.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Any time you get below about 5-0 C winter tires can be beneficial.

The rubber compound is designed to still be soft (well softer) than regular all seasons at that temp, which gives you more grip. By the same token, above 5 c or so winter tires should be removed as they will wear quicker.

Winter tires are also heavily siped to give extra traction in the snow and on ice. Same with the narrow tread face and aggressive tread patterns.

Now, I'm note sure if Tennessee gets cold enough or snowy enough to warrant the use of snow tires, but those are the basic guidelines for their use in the "Great White North"....:)

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Iirc the MTR kevlars had that cold temp rubber technology and they did wear out fast. Like I said they were awful in the snow so I'm not sure about that rubber. Kinda like my work boots are supposed to soften up or get gummy but I can't say they work!

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Any time you get below about 5-0 C winter tires can be beneficial.

The rubber compound is designed to still be soft (well softer) than regular all seasons at that temp, which gives you more grip. By the same token, above 5 c or so winter tires should be removed as they will wear quicker.

Winter tires are also heavily siped to give extra traction in the snow and on ice. Same with the narrow tread face and aggressive tread patterns.

Now, I'm note sure if Tennessee gets cold enough or snowy enough to warrant the use of snow tires, but those are the basic guidelines for their use in the "Great White North"....:)

^this.

Unfortunately, snow tire and mud tire don't really go that well together. I ran studded Goodyear Wrangler Territory which were adequate for both, but not amazing at either. Right now I'm using 265/75/16 Kelly Safari TSRs that aren't bad in the snow...but they are definitely NOT a snow tire.

I would prefer to have a narrower, studded set of winter tires for this time of year.

racer36

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran firestone destination a/ts last winter and they worked great, cheaper tire, plus they did good in mud honestly. But i wont give up my duratracs now

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

biggy-p

Reaction score
i have general grabber at2 these tires are great ive had them on my truck for 3yrs and they are just now showing wear, ive been in snow, sand, a lil bit of mud, and the road they are great tires i will buy another pair! great tires!! i have put about 40,000 miles on them!

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Cooper has always made good tires that handle snow, ice and mud. A good tip is to look at what your local government trucks are running. Like our PG&E and Forrest service trucks all run cooper tires

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, love your trucks look, but does it really get bad enough in Hendersonville for a different set of tires?