Window Regulator Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grizza

Reaction score
My driver door window regulator finally stopped working :banghead:

well actually it sounds like machine gun when I try to roll the window up or down- scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. With about 160,000 I figured it was about time to just replace it.

I found a video online about changing the regulator on my tahoe, it was fairly detailed, but it has some conflicting info from some of the posts I have found on various forums.

Is it better to have the window all they way up or all the way down?

I know that the window regulator is riveted in place and that I will have to drill it out. Do I have to use rivets to put it back in? or can I just get some nuts/bolts with a lock washer and some locktite?

Any advice on changing the window regulator would be helpful.

Thanks everyone!!

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't had to change a regulator on a GMT400, but in general when it comes to installing these damn things, your going to want to start with the window up. Then unfasten the top, where the glass mounts to the glass, then unbolt the regulator from the door and work the window down untill it's free. Regulators in general are a pain in the ass to change, but it's deffinatly not impossible to do. Other shops around this are charge like 400+ just to change one assy. out

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Make sure the window is up to start. I drilled mine out and replaced the rivets with nuts and bolts in my firebird - worked like a charm. Had the problem in my truck (along with rusted out doors) and I just replaced the doors! When given the chance I switched and got manual windows.