Rear window regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just bought a 96 k1500 Tahoe to start fixing up and I been trying to replace the rear window regulator and motor but I can’t find them anywhere online. Are they the same as the front regulator and motor assemblies or am I only able to replace the motor?

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can replace the motors. Lube up the tracks while you are in there and you should be good to go. Rockauto has them in stock $30

Reaction score
You can replace the motors. Lube up the tracks while you are in there and you should be good to go. Rockauto has them in stock $30
Thank you for the info. From what I seen you have to pop the rivets out to get the assembly out, what hardware should I use to put it back in? It doesn’t look like I can replace the motor without removing the whole assembly like I was hoping.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. From what I seen you have to pop the rivets out to get the assembly out, what hardware should I use to put it back in? It doesn’t look like I can replace the motor without removing the whole assembly like I was hoping.
not 100% sure as couldn't tell you last time i was in a back door on one, but if 1/4 rivets you want to use steel ones not aluminum, aluminum ones can work loose. Couldn't tell you how many different various make and model vehicles i been in where the where the whole works, window regulator and all, was doing the herky-jerky up and down because someone before me used aluminum.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rivets may have a steel center pin, that was used to pull/ set the large pop rivet. Use a small steel pin punch the same diameter to punch it out. Then carefully drill out the aluminum hollow rivet.
I work in aviation so opted to use grade 5 short stainless machine screw and stainless nyloks. When I did the passenger door 3 mos ago.
Replace window motor and regulator as unit. There is spring inside the regulator strong enough chop off a finger or two. Disassembly not advised. The price isn't that much more , not worth the time and effort to change just one part.
Both parts have had a good service life. Replacing as a unit is easier and will operate like new. All metal edges are razor sharp use caution.
Good luck.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rivets may have a steel center pin, that was used to pull/ set the large pop rivet. Use a small steel pin punch the same diameter to punch it out. Then carefully drill out the aluminum hollow rivet.
I work in aviation so opted to use grade 5 short stainless machine screw and stainless nyloks. When I did the passenger door 3 mos ago.
Replace window motor and regulator as unit. There is spring inside the regulator strong enough chop off a finger or two. Disassembly not advised. The price isn't that much more , not worth the time and effort to change just one part.
Both parts have had a good service life. Replacing as a unit is easier and will operate like new. All metal edges are razor sharp use caution.
Good luck.
I kinda glanced but couldn't come across a catalog listing for an assembly after it was mentioned here that they are not available. Tons of these trucks around thought it would be.

Reaction score
Good luck.
I would like to replace the whole assembly but unless the rear window regulators are the same as the front window regulators I can’t find them anywhere. The only thing I could find for the rear driver side window is the motor

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to replace the whole assembly but unless the rear window regulators are the same as the front window regulators I can’t find them anywhere. The only thing I could find for the rear driver side window is the motor
front imho, same as pickups probably,and listed all over the place. Rear doors didn't see a single listing... not that I went out of my way looking either. Can't assume they are the same, rear door regulators are generally more compact size wise. as said sometimes you can bolt them back in if clearance permits it, if you don't have a rivet gun that will pull steel rivets.

Last edited: