Wierd squeek,, (leaf spring bushing ?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My truck has developed this squeak. It sounds like it may be the leaf spring bushings. It is there when I hit a bump, or if I jump on the rear bumper, on the passengers side, but it is hard to pin point. My truck is a 97,ext. cab, 2 WD, 5.7 L with factory tow package and has 215000 miles. Has any one else have this happen to them ? I have looked up the replacement bushings, but I hate to pull the springs if that's not the issue. SO I was just wondering how common this is.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
mine does the same thing. I was thinking leaf spring bushing or a shock but leaning more towards the bushing

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I changed my shocks a few years ago, so I don't think it is shocks. Thanks for the reply. I was wondering how common this is. I think I will spray the bushings with some Kriol on just the bushings. I have done this already, but I sprayed everything I thought it may be. I hate that squeak. I was also wondering if anyone has changed there bushings, and how much trouble is it to do this. Do I need to pull the spring off, or can I do it with removing the springs ?

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get white lithium grease and spray one thing at a time and try to get it to make the noise and see if the noise goes away or gets quieter. Finding suspension noises can be a real pain sometimes.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can mix up powdered graphite (like the stuff for door locks) and islpropal alcohol in a spray bottle.. spray it in there and the alcohol let's the graphite flow into all the areas then evaporates and leaves the graphite... I usually use it when any energy suspension bushings start to squeak... works great

sent from what use to be a great country...

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Grate info guy's. I found some videos on youtube last night. It looks like a real pain to change out the bushings. The white lithium grease made my think about never seize spray, and I also like the graphite idea. Kroil stops the squeak, but doesn't last more that a few days. PB blaster last even lest time, but also stops the squeak.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The white lithium grease wont cure the noise it just helps you to find it. The graphite idea sounds like the best route if you don't want to change the bushings

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Can mix up powdered graphite (like the stuff for door locks) and islpropal alcohol in a spray bottle.. spray it in there and the alcohol let's the graphite flow into all the areas then evaporates and leaves the graphite... I usually use it when any energy suspension bushings start to squeak... works great

sent from what use to be a great country...

Thanks for the tip!

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Changed my shocks today, I have no more squeak. The shocks were only 2 years old. I wouldn't have thought, that was the squeak, but t. After I it was. nbolted the shocks, I bounced the truck, and no squeak. After installing the new shocks, I bounced the truck and no squeak, then test drive, and no squeak. I wish I had thought about unbolting the shocks and then bouncing the truck. This would have told me that the shocks needed to be replaced when there was no more squeak.