Widening TBI intake bores

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just picked up a complete big block throttle body for my 383. Comes with 65# injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, IAC valve, and TPS. I need to widen the TB bores in my Edelbrock intake. Does anyone see anything wrong with using a gasket to locate the holes and using a hole saw to widen the bores to 2"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it will be a giant pain without a drill press because there is nothing to center the hole saw.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I could use the gasket to make a template out of a 1/2" thick piece of scrap wood and let that keep the hole saw from wandering?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I would use a die grinder with a carbon bit. Place the gasket down, draw out the circle and grind away. Just be sure the intake is off the truck and you flush it out good before installing it.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would use a die grinder with a carbon bit. Place the gasket down, draw out the circle and grind away. Just be sure the intake is off the truck and you flush it out good before installing it.

Definitely getting the intake off the engine before anything! I don't want to destroy that year old crate engine by dropping filings down in the heads.

After doing some more looking around (by looking I mean Googling every variation of "big block TBI on small block" I could think of) the TB I bought is the later style with the bigger footprint. Because the Edelbrock intake has a raised mounting surface that matches the small block TB, I will need a spacer that matches the bigger TB to get it to seal. That spacer will work well for marking and/or boring the larger holes also.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ordered adapter harnesses for the IAC and TPS. Just need to track down a spacer and I should have everything needed to do the swap.