Why does every one hate the 700r4???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
either way a stick is prefed to me. atleast in a built truck or car anyways. i dont have a problem with an auto behind somthing stock at all. but a bunch of my friends have autos behind their mud trucks and built cars and they just always seem to be having some kind of trans problems.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 700R4/4L60E transmissions aren't bad. They can hold up to some power, and can be built to handle pretty much anything. But I've seen stock S10s with bad 700R4s.
Like pretty much everyone else said, I'd rather have a manual. I don't care if its stock or modified, or how many gears it has, manuals are more fun. Driving my automatic everyday is starting to wear to me down. I miss my other trucks, one's a 3 speed and the other is a 4 speed. I'm seriously considering getting a T56 for my GMC.

Kawikid

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is a built 350 mean exactly? People hate them so much because everyone beefs up their engine and leaves their 4l60e bone stock. Then proceeds to beat the crap out of the vehicle thinking the tranny will hold the extra power and you going WOT everywhere you go. Or people run big tires on stock gears.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
either way a stick is prefed to me. atleast in a built truck or car anyways. i dont have a problem with an auto behind somthing stock at all. but a bunch of my friends have autos behind their mud trucks and built cars and they just always seem to be having some kind of trans problems.

Yeah, the average automatic has probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000 individual parts, a T56 I believe has right around 200. More parts that can fail equals more parts that will fail at some point is my philosphy these days.

The 700R4/4L60E transmissions aren't bad. They can hold up to some power, and can be built to handle pretty much anything. But I've seen stock S10s with bad 700R4s.
Like pretty much everyone else said, I'd rather have a manual. I don't care if its stock or modified, or how many gears it has, manuals are more fun. Driving my automatic everyday is starting to wear to me down. I miss my other trucks, one's a 3 speed and the other is a 4 speed. I'm seriously considering getting a T56 for my GMC.

Well I wouldn't say anything, but a 700R4, like many things that from the General, can be pushed and pushed some more.

What is a built 350 mean exactly? People hate them so much because everyone beefs up their engine and leaves their 4l60e bone stock. Then proceeds to beat the crap out of the vehicle thinking the tranny will hold the extra power and you going WOT everywhere you go. Or people run big tires on stock gears.

Yep, what kinda built 350 are we talking about? People hate 4L60(e)'s for the same reason they hate TBI and swirlport heads: ignorance and laziness to learn the facts.