whos running the GM Vortec L31 crate engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who here is running the GM Vortec replacement engine that is available from Jegs and Summit and a few other vendors?

How well has it held up?

How does it compare to the good running OEM Vortec engine?

I read a few comments that the engines are made in Mexico and the heads are junk on them. Looking for input here as I am trying to plan an engine replacement within the year.

abailey55

Reaction score
Hello my friend. I have done a complete restoration on my 98 K1500 and did some research on L31 engines before my purchase. I recommend going to a Chevrolet dealer for your L31. It may cost you and extra $50 bucks but they will stand by their product. My truck runs great for a factory engine. I did add long tube headers and dual exhaust plus a Hypertech programmer. Good luck.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have one in my '98 2-door. Only done about 1500 miles so far so I couldn't speak to longevity, but I am happy with how it runs. Mine is modified with an Alex's Parts spring kit, a ZZ4 cam and a Black Bear tune. After 1500 miles, a lot of which has been spend tweaking things, the jury is still out on the cam but overall I am happy with the way it runs.

I think there is a lot of internet hype and BS about the heads. Why would GM manufacture a motor with older tech heads 20 years after production ended? It makes zero sense to me.

Also, if your 2 door's VIN begins with 3, like mine, it was build it Mexico anyway.

As to abaily's point, if it is $50, I would agree, but I don't think that is the price diff. And where I live, finding a dealing willing to even bother with this for you would be hard. They come with the same warranty no matter where you buy it from and if you mod it the warranty is void anyway.

Craig

Reaction score
The owner before me put in a L31R longblock into my 94 Yukon. It's based on the 96+ vortec. It was also purchased through the local GM dealership, not an online vendor. It has a slightly different appearance to the ones on summit and jegs right now but I think it's the same product.

It is just about 3 years old now with about 25,000km / 15,000 miles on it and so far it's proven to be a fantastic replacement to the original. It doesn't have a single issue, runs perfectly smooth.

Overall, it depends what you're looking for. As a stock replacement, I think it's a good choice and fairly good value.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I will see what my local dealer wants for one and go from there.
Does anyone know if GM still sells new 4L60E transmissions???

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think there is a lot of internet hype and BS about the heads. Why would GM manufacture a motor with older tech heads 20 years after production ended? It makes zero sense to me.

I couldnt agree more ...when they first came out I remember GM tried to make a huge deal out of "GM" out of box vortecs getting alot of magazines to write favorable articles etc saying they are worth 50 hp over other heads, cfm this and cfm that ...in non sponsored dyno articles I could dig up they are really only worth at best about 20 hp out of the box. Alot of Vette guys I knew who did Vortec head swaps buying into the original GM hype were disappointed when they were done converting. NOW having said that your Promaxx, AFR,Trick Flows , Dart , EQ - vortec designs A R E worth alot more hp and tq and worth it. The GM Vortecs require additional modifications and or spring and retainers etc to run over a measely ~ .470 lift ...so really after you do all those required mods IMO you are better off running an aftermarket set of non GM Vortecs returning better numbers. FWIW .

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I do not agree with John about it being "worth it" to buy the aftermarket heads. The Alex's parts mod is like $130 and the heads mentioned above are like more than 50%of the cost of the long block itself. I would say if you are trying to make more than 400 HP it's worth getting into new heads, along with a lot of other stuff like the super duper injectors and such.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not agree with John about it being "worth it" to buy the aftermarket heads. The Alex's parts mod is like $130 and the heads mentioned above are like more than 50%of the cost of the long block itself. I would say if you are trying to make more than 400 HP it's worth getting into new heads, along with a lot of other stuff like the super duper injectors and such.

I have no intentions of making 400hp. This is just a DD for me. Nop towing either. Im not even sure I want to mess with swapping the cam out. Im running 4.56s and 33s and I drive 50 miles a week to and from work. Thats it. The only way I would swap the cam out is if there is a proven "kit" that I can use that will get me at least enough hp to notice the difference from the butt dyno AND it doesnt cost over $300.

Also, Im not sure which head gaskets were used pn these crate engines and I may be tempted to pull the heads off just to replace the gaskets with a Felpro set so I will have piece of mind knowing that they wont fail in short time

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no intentions of making 400hp. This is just a DD for me. Nop towing either. Im not even sure I want to mess with swapping the cam out. Im running 4.56s and 33s and I drive 50 miles a week to and from work. Thats it. The only way I would swap the cam out is if there is a proven "kit" that I can use that will get me at least enough hp to notice the difference from the butt dyno AND it doesnt cost over $300.

Also, Im not sure which head gaskets were used pn these crate engines and I may be tempted to pull the heads off just to replace the gaskets with a Felpro set so I will have piece of mind knowing that they wont fail in short time

As a DD the L31 is awesome for that job as built
Horsepower‎: ‎250HP @ 4600RPM Torque‎: ‎330FT/LBS @ 2800RPM.....A vintage back in the day 1990 Tuned Port Vette for instance only put down 245 hp and 345 ft lbs ...

. Like someone said above if your shooting for over 400 hp (your not) ......what alot of guys do is simply sell the new Vortec takeoffs off the L31 (recouping some $$$) and replace them with the aftermarkets that can handle the lift and give much better performance etc. out of the box with a higher lift / duration cam...... I have two friends who went STOCK L31 and are VERY happy with their decision. For your application I would drop it in as built and simply leave it alone ..... to each his own .....

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a L30 305 Vortec in my 1999 Tahoe I bought with a blown up 350 at 120K miles. The little 305 with a mild hydraulic flat tappet Lunati HE 268 cam, headers, exhaust, Volant intake, PCM tune and S10 converter it moves it around just fine with a 3.42 rear gear and 32" tall P305/50R20s. It sounds good and gets great fuel mileage.