Where to buy replacement seatbelts? 1989 standard cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My early GMT400 (1989) driver's side seatbelt refuses to retract properly. I've taken it apart before and got it partially working, but now it's time for a replacement. I believe that they are the same from 1988 through 1990. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Has anyone found a source for a bolt-in replacement for these belts? Mine is a standard cab, medium gray (colour 82). Some used original-style "passenger-side" belts pop up on eBay from time to time, but driver's side never seem to...I guess because they get all the wear.
You must be registered for see images attach

There are a few manufacturers selling new replacements, but I haven't found a set that's close enough to original-style.

Ideas? Thanks.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Car-Part.com...little pricey but you may be able to find exactly what you're looking for.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was looking for new retractors a couple of years ago, but I don't think they exist. All my junkyard searches resulted in similarly-worn assemblies.

I ended up opening mine up and putting a couple of extra turns in the springs for more tension, but you can barely tell a difference. I even tried washing the belt in hopes that maybe the shoulder belt was just a little too stiff to go around the corner smoothly. But for all my efforts, I only succeeded in raising the droop point of the tongue by about an inch. I still have to feed it the rest of the way by hand.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies to all years but keep in mind that there were two different suppliers at some point, TRW and another, so the buckles are of course different. Will be fine as long as you get the associated buckle when you pull a seat belt.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lmc sells some seat belts. Not sure if they're truck specific or one size fits all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies to all years but keep in mind that there were two different suppliers at some point, TRW and another, so the buckles are of course different. Will be fine as long as you get the associated buckle when you pull a seat belt.

Thanks. Is there an easy way to know which type my truck has?

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There should be a label attached to the seatbelt, down near one of the mounting tabs. Most likely at this late in game the label is gone or the print has become illegible, if that's indeed the case then you would have to do some buckle comparing at the yard to figure out what you have. According to the parts site you could have belts by TRW, Breed or Allied-Bendix.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try Car-Part.com...little pricey but you may be able to find exactly what you're looking for.

they do not have an interchange on seat belts on car-part, nor do most j/y's. they will have them listed, but it is up to you to verify the match against their donor. Don't let them fool you either, they are all not the same. when I tried looking for a replacement for my cclb, I got diff part #'s for diff cabs styles using the same year as a starting point.