Where do can i get a timing chain tensioner and damper????? HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

naphidim

Reaction score
Have a 1990 chevy v6 262, w/5 speed transmission, I'm replacing the timing chain and i need to find new timing chain tensioner and damper. I've looked everywhere for new ones but can't find anywhere, not online or at any local stores. Does anyone know where i can find them, and i need this asap too,,

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 262 also known as the 4.3liter in 1990 is just a regular style timing chain set-up in all i have done and do not have a timing chain tensioner... They are set up and identical to the Chevy small blocks 5.0 and 5.7's... The later style i believe does as they also use a balance shaft but in 90 they did not use that.. It wasn't till 93-94 or so i think.. On the regular 4.3 there is a crank gear and a cam gear and a chain. Crank gear is keyed and the cam gear is held in place by 3 bolts. There is an easy process to install it that I will not get into here..

As far as the dampener are you referring to the harmonic balancer maybe? That is just press fit and bolted to crankshaft after the timing cover is reinstalled.

Either of these items can be bought from any parts store..

Who or what is telling you you need a "timing chain tensioner and dampener" for a 1990 4.3?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I didn't see the year, My fault. But I believe he is referring to the tensioner in this pic.
It's more of a guide than a tensioner though.

You must be registered for see images attach

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a balance shaft motor in that pic. A 1990 isn't a balance shaft motor it's just a standard set up. Should have no guide like that at all. The chain on a non balance shaft motor is made to fit snug when installed and does not need or use any guides what so ever.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

naphidim

Reaction score
I looked on the job diagram for replacing the timing chain on Autozone. There diagram has a timing chain tensioner and dampener. When i took everything off the timing cover on my truck there was no tensioner or dampener, so i figured they just fell off into the oilpan since the timing chain needed replacing.

but ya, i figured i needed them cuz they were on the autozone website job description for changing out my timing chain, just figured maybe they fell into oilpan, as we know does sometime happen with them.and the new timing chain i put on is a lil loose so.........

damn.....do i have them or not is the new question.

now i really need help

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
That's a balance shaft motor in that pic. A 1990 isn't a balance shaft motor it's just a standard set up. Should have no guide like that at all. The chain on a non balance shaft motor is made to fit snug when installed and does not need or use any guides what so ever.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

Yeah, I didn't see the year he posted. I read tensioner and thought Vortec. My fault.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I looked on the job diagram for replacing the timing chain on Autozone. There diagram has a timing chain tensioner and dampener. When i took everything off the timing cover on my truck there was no tensioner or dampener, so i figured they just fell off into the oilpan since the timing chain needed replacing.

but ya, i figured i needed them cuz they were on the autozone website job description for changing out my timing chain, just figured maybe they fell into oilpan, as we know does sometime happen with them.and the new timing chain i put on is a lil loose so.........

damn.....do i have them or not is the new question.

now i really need help

There will be a little play, they are not super tight like a drive belt. But it you can move the chain side to side more than a hair, you might have a problem with the chain