Where can i find stamped VIN number on frame on 1990 K1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Hey fellow Swed! I did the inspection on my truck about 2 months ago and my Magnum in november last year and they didn't check for the VIN number on the frame on either, but they did on my bosses corvette about a year ago... I'm not sure how they decide which once to check. My truck isn't imported but the Magnum and my bosses Corvette is.
He had to get the VIN stamped on the frame (7-8mm letters/numbers I believe) and take it back to the inspection and show them. A shop should be able to stamp it for you.

I'm pretty sure imported cars and trucks here in Sweden don't have stamped VIN's since it hasn't been required before, my Impala was imported in 2006 and the Magnum in 2008 and both only has the VIN numbers in the original places.

It is really a stupid thing they came up with, usually when they come up with new crap like this it only applys to vehicles from that year...

Edit:
I googled a little, a car or truck with a frame (like our trucks and my Impala) should have the VIN stamped on the frame since that's the part that is registrered as the vehicle (we can replace fenders, cab and bed and it's still the same truck, if we replace the frame but keep the rest, you get the VIN and license number from the truck the frame came from.) So the VIN should have been stamped on the frame when it was imported, but up until sometime last year or so they didn't really care much about that so most imported vehicles don't have the VIN on the frame.
This explains why they didn't check my Magnum, it doesn't have a frame like that.

Last edited:

CharlieP

Reaction score
@ MsChevy,

Thanks for your reply!
I finally got hold of a engineer at the Swedish car inspection bureau, who told me to get the VIN-number stamped on the frame, right side/passenger side.
I asked him if I could do it myself, and he replied:
-"Sure, If you think you can do it yourself, go ahead."

So I did.
I found a dotted font named "Dotcirful"
http://www.dafont.com/dotcirful.font
I wrote my VIN number, sized it to specs (minimum 8mm high) and printed it out on a piece of paper.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then I sanded down an area on the frame, cut the printed VIN number out and taped it to the frame.
After that it was just to punch away, following the dots with a hammer and punch.
I think the result came out pretty ok.

Next will be to book a time for registration, wish me luck...

Attachments

• VIN.jpg
    VIN.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 29

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That actually can out great for having to do it by hand... good job..

sent from what use to be a great country...

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
@ MsChevy,

Thanks for your reply!
I finally got hold of a engineer at the Swedish car inspection bureau, who told me to get the VIN-number stamped on the frame, right side/passenger side.
I asked him if I could do it myself, and he replied:
-"Sure, If you think you can do it yourself, go ahead."

So I did.
I found a dotted font named "Dotcirful"
http://www.dafont.com/dotcirful.font
I wrote my VIN number, sized it to specs (minimum 8mm high) and printed it out on a piece of paper.

Then I sanded down an area on the frame, cut the printed VIN number out and taped it to the frame.
After that it was just to punch away, following the dots with a hammer and punch.
I think the result came out pretty ok.

Next will be to book a time for registration, wish me luck...

You're welcome, it turned out great! It's nice they let you do it yourself, usually they don't make anything easy for us car/truck owners.
Is it on the inside or outside of the frame? Do you know if this only applys to importet vehicles or all?

Good luck on the registration!

CharlieP

Reaction score
I punched the numbers on the outside of the frame, right under the passenger door.
The registration went well and I passed with a "Damn, that looks really good, man!" from the registration guy.
So now it is all clear and good to go!

Thanks all who contributed with input.

Last edited:

portmod7

Reaction score
On my 1994, single cab, 2wd, long bed, I found the VIN stamped on my frame. It is on the top of the passenger frame rail, below the cab, near the rear cab mount, behind where the lip of the rail "flair" ends and goes back to a normal c-channel shape. Will be a little difficult to find/see with the cab on.

Attachments

• IMG_8239.jpeg
    IMG_8239.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 4