When to diy or not to.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the good vibes of this forum actually is encouraging even if people have to DIY anything like that.
But there are moments where doing it yourself you don't feel comfortable.
It is OK it's all I guess you support the little guy as I said. Plus considering how foums are there are probably people that would recommend you to their buddies place.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My rule. If you buy the tools, do it yourself, you will feel more confident to do other things, and you will have the tools forever. If you pay someone your wallet gets light and begin second guessing yourself. You can always try and if it seems like its not going well , ask for help here, or put it back together and have a mechanic do it. At least you tried and you know what is involved so you don't get screwed.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I won't DIY anything that requires several people or has a catastrophic risk, like cutting down a tall tree near a powerline or roofing a house. Pretty much anything automotive that doesn't require a bunch of equipment is fair game. If someone else can do it, why can't I learn to do it?
Agreed there are things like welding I don't know how to do. I usually farm out body work.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some days I wish I had a pole barn or a hanger to work on my vehicles. Heck I missed when my buddy was in the states and when my other buddy had his custom shop

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Paint = Hire out
Automatic transmission rebuild = Hire out
Electrical gremlins = Hire out

Pretty much anything else if I dont know how to do it I'll buy the tools needed and learn it. For example, I haven't done any re-gearing but I'm sure I would turn a 2hr job into a full 2-day job just making sure I get backlash and tooth engagement absolutely perfect, lol.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Paint = Hire out
Automatic transmission rebuild = Hire out
Electrical gremlins = Hire out

Pretty much anything else if I dont know how to do it I'll buy the tools needed and learn it. For example, I haven't done any re-gearing but I'm sure I would turn a 2hr job into a full 2-day job just making sure I get backlash and tooth engagement absolutely perfect, lol.
Agreed