When it rains it pours. Time for an engine rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Why is it that whenever a vehicle is running its best it is a sign of trouble?

I was driving to Ft. Belvoir last Wednesday when my 99 Tahoe started to make an annoying rattling noise. I thought it was maybe just bad gas or a knocking lifter. So being the idiot I sometimes am I tried to drive it home. After about 4 miles it became real bad with the slight amount of load. There was a few noises now. A rolling noise, a screaching grinding noise, and a loud banging noise like something was getting bounced around in the crankcase. Did I run over a bomb?

The sad part is that the trusty 'hoe was running good. I just hit 167,000 miles and did my 5,000 mile oil change the week before. I uses Pennzoil Platinum like I always do. The only change was the K&N oil filter I have never used before.

So far I have have only half-ass removed the driver side valve cover to peak in and see if I was lucky enough to break a pushrod. The valves seem to be working fine. My next step is to remove the other valve cover and remove the intake manifold. I have to change out the intake gaskets anyway because I have a nice sized coolant leak from the front of it.

I have a compression tester in my shed so I think the next thing I will do later today is check the compression. Someone told me that if the cylinder is building some pressure the short block will be fine. Any thoughts on this one? It doesn't sound valid to me. Thanks.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like when my boat motor blew, the loud banging and stuf bouncing around was the #1 connecting rod flying around taking out the oil pump, putting holes in the oil pan, and just general destruction.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
383, I wish! I am too damn poor for that. I will probably just order a crate 4-bolt l31 and install it since I don't have a shop or anywhere to rebuild my own one. The transmission has priority right now.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah you got the shuddering in overdrive like me right?

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
****, looks like you got at least a couple good problems with that truck.

check out to see if you can find a dealer of rebuilt l31s locally. instead of buying a motor from gmperformanceparts.com or something along those lines for a few grand or more, I can pick up a rebulit for less than $900.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
The cheapest I have found is an engine shipped for around $1600 from Carolina Machine Engines. They have an optional 5-year warranty for only $275. I can't find any information on them though. They have an A+ rating from BBB, but I would still like to see some real creditable reviews from somewhere before I trust my vehicle to them.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Well, I forgot to update this but I rebuilt the stock engine myself a few months after it died. It ended up being a severely worn crank bearing. I had to replace the cankshaft and now it is back to new.

I was amazed at how well the factory cross hatching was. Overall I only spent $400 to rebuild it. I didn't even have to remove the engine because I had enough working room with the body lift.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2