wheel well coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hose cleans mine too, just gloss black rattle can. My environment isn't as extreme as most of you guys, no salt, snow, or gravel just red clay and sand.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If they are trucks then who cares about rock protection? I made the mistake of spraying my skid plate with rubberized undercoating. It's look so bad I can't believe it. And it never comes clean with ease. Now I have the Pita task of sanding it off to spray gloss back again. My pressure washer cleans my painted parts well with a spray of simple green. On lifted trucks you can really see the wheel wells pretty well.

You're missing the point of the undercoating.

Its not to look good, its to protect.

Suffice to say, we disagree.

I can see my views are not welcome in this discussion, so I'll just bow out.

:)

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I really do get the point of undercoating BTW. I just think it looks like $hit on lifted trucks. We use rubberized undercoating on the Morgan +8 to prevent rocks from making high points on the rear fenders.
You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Lol! Wheel wells.
These ARE trucks, but w/w cleaning & detailing is just another part of my wash regime.
Yea, I said 'detailing'! (B.J. is now shaking his head! Lol! And I'm just getting started!)
When I go to the wand-wash, first thing...spray the wheel wells with tire cleaner. Let that sit while I wash the rest of the truck.
Before I wash the wheels, I hit every part that I can under the truck with the high pressure soap cycle. I'm talking wheels wells, trailer hitch, rear end housing, the leafs, including the shackles & hangers, rear sway bar, the upper & lower control arms, springs, ball joints, tie rod ends, the front sway bar, & the exposed frame rails. Anything & everything that I can reach with the wand. The big wheels with the large openings makes this easier.
Not just a quikie spray either. Costs almost as much to do this as the rest of the truck!
Then a good rinsing before washing the wheels. When rinsing, I'll also hit the inner body panels behind & in front of the rear wheels. Surprising the color of the water coming outa there
Once a month or so, after doing this, get the truck home. By that time, it's all dry underneath.
Then, I'll beak out this...

You must be registered for see images attach

If I feel ambitious, I'll put the truck on jack stands, but that only happens maybe 3-4X a year.
Using a hand-held piece of cardboard to prevent overspray, I'll start from one corner of the truck & work around it, painting ALL the previously washed parts underneath that I can reach. I have some tire covers that I've made outa some left-over vinyl to protect the wheels & tires. The covers for the front tires fit right over the back side with slits to go around the suspension. This prevents the paint from getting on the wheels from the back. I turn the wheels to the lock one way & paint what I can, then turn the wheel to the lock the other way to get the rest.
This stuff dries fast. After I've got all the painting done, the corner where I started is dry, so then I'll start there & work around, doing the inner wheel wells with a tire shine spray. A spray works the best. 'Tire Foam', not so much.
Once a month. A can of paint, each time.
As I'm a "Gotta have a clean truck' kinda guy, I've been known to wash my truck 2X a day. (3X? Yup! Lol!) But usually every 2nd or 3rd day. Depending on the time of year & how dirty that I feel the truck is.
I'll use the tire spray as a quick detailer in the wheel wells between painting.
OCD? Maybe! Probably!

Want to ask me about my polishing & waxing regime? Lol! That's even more freakiness! (sickness?)

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Nice, I do detailing and vinyl wraps so it doesn't sound crazy to me! What are your thoughts on under carriage spray? I think its very similar to tire spray seems to just be a silicone spray, but it does make the dirt come off easier with the pressure washer in my experience.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Sewlow, I want to hear the polishing & waxing regime!!! We should have a talk about products and tools we like best because I am always open to new methods of detailing!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice, I do detailing and vinyl wraps so it doesn't sound crazy to me! What are your thoughts on under carriage spray? I think its very similar to tire spray seems to just be a silicone spray, but it does make the dirt come off easier with the pressure washer in my experience.

If I plan on getting in the mud, baby oil and warm soapy water in a pump up sprayer. Used to use wd40, but Im just too cheap. Only if I have a long day at work in the woods where I know I'll spend 48 hrs between muddy clay roads and bumper deep holes.

And sewlow. You sir, need a pressure washer.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

Actually, never tried it.
I have a friend with a Harley truck, the one year only lowered ECSS 2whldr. (First year?) Twice a year, he sprays down his whole undercarriage with WD40. The truck is rust-free, & any part is almost clean enough to eat off of. We have an unofficial, unspoken 'clean' competition going on. We do trade little tips & tricks, though.