Wheel fitment question... read my thread before you get pissed at me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackpala96

Reaction score
Alright, so Ive been building cars and just recently trucks for the last 20 years or so... but I have this nagging issue that my experience isnt helping with... and I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

So, Im buttoning up my 6/8 as I type.. 2 inch spindles and 3 inch springs with 1/4 coil cut off. I found some wheels before the build started and I swear i checked and checked to make sure theyd work... well, I put the front end together, dry fit the wheels(no tires) and they look like they stick outside the fender??

Here are the specs..

20x8.5, 5.12" BS and a +10 offset.. not staggered(potential tire sizes are 255/35 and 275/35)

I see guys all day running the Boss wheels that are 20x8.5 with a +14 offset, making the BS around 5.2" and they tuck and everything is golden.

So, are these things going to fit? I'll gladly run a shorter tire if need-be

FYI: Ls1tech, Ls2gto, performancetrucks... i use the same user name

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
What brand of spindles?
BellTech & CMS (Canuck Motor Sports. A B/T dreivitive.) will push out the front track about 3/4-1" each side.
McGaughy's & DJM don't push the wheels out.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That Boss wheel doesn't really tuck, it comes right up to the edge and is OK if you don't have an extreme drop. 5.24" I believe is the specific backspacing on it. Had 20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear on my '94 for a little while.

20x8.5 with 5.5" backspacing would suit you much better in the front, but you won't find that in the same wheel.

This Centerline wheel has those specs and you can see it with what is roughly a 5~6" front drop and a 255/45/20 tire:

You must be registered for see images attach

A little better perspective, from the front/angle:

Richard

Blackpala96

Reaction score
So, there is no way my 5.12" bs will work on the front of my truck?

My front drop will be in the 6" range.

It just seems like 5.12" and 5.24" BS are so close, yet that extra 1/10 of an inch is gonna kill it?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Look how close that tire is in the pic up there. The specific measurement on that Centerline wheel is 20x8.5 with +19mm which is actually 5.4", not literally 5.5". Yes, when you're getting that close, a few millimeters difference is going to count.

You could probably run a stupid small/narrow tire and get away with it. You can also roll the holy crap out of the fender lip. I'd flatten it. And also if you haven't deleted your intake tube resonator already this is a great time to do so, so that the two bolts sticking down through the fenderwell right at the top of the tire are no longer there to give you trouble.

Try looking at a 245/40/20; I think that's the size I used to run. It's also the size I bent all 4 of my wheels with. But, it's a tiny bit more sidewall (for wheel protection) and less width (to fit the extreme drop w/poor backspacing) than a 255/35/20 which would be the other typical small 20".

By the way I'd only suggest them for the front, for your clearance issue. They look stupid on the back.

Richard

Blackpala96

Reaction score
I'm assuming this forum is set up for a file hosting place like photobucket? I'll have to upload the pictures I took.

I'm going to roll the fenders as flat as I can, run a 255/35 tire and hope for the best.