What's this part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Its like an idler arm or something? Will it cause the wheel to jerk around and the front end to hop? I couldn't find any play in the stock on while turning the wheel back and forth...

You must be registered for see images

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is the idler that mounts to the passenger side frame rail yes.. it can cause issues if bad but not drastic if no play...... alot of things can cause those symptoms.. can you be more specific.... at speeds, in corners only, after hitting a speed bump, washboard roads.....etc..... why do you think it was this part as you seem to have singled it out of about 20 parts in the front end?

scoob8000

Reaction score
Jack the front end and while your under the truck watching all the steering components, have someone grab each tire and wiggle them back and forth. You'll find your slop.

What your describing could be any of the steering components..

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
That is the idler that mounts to the passenger side frame rail yes.. it can cause issues if bad but not drastic if no play...... alot of things can cause those symptoms.. can you be more specific.... at speeds, in corners only, after hitting a speed bump, washboard roads.....etc..... why do you think it was this part as you seem to have singled it out of about 20 parts in the front end?
I pulled my Yukon out of the weeds where my gf had parked it for two years before I bought it from her... She parked it because she was tired of putting money into it. It has new upper and lower ball joints as well as tie rods and bilstein shocks.

The front tires are evenly worn bald. It came with this part, a pitman arm, and idler arm brand new, which is how I narrowed it down lol.

I got it fired up, (dead battery, bad gas), pulled out of the driveway, and it was immediately, from 5mph on, shimmying and shaking, all the way up to 45 where it felt like the tires were going to come apart. I turned around and parked it.

I suspect the tires are shot and causing much of it. However, I need to drive it about 30 miles home, and I'm on a tight budget. So, I was just trying to determine, if tires don't settle it down, could it be that part? I can easily enough change all three parts in her driveway if need be, but in the meantime I'm walking two miles to work, so I'd like it home asap.

Since it came with the parts anyway, I'm putting them on eventually, but I don't wanna buy the tools to do so if I don't absolutely have to, because its just not in the budget yet... I need plates and insurance too... Life sucks sometimes lol, appreciate the help though!

BTW, with the truck on the ground, no noticeable slop in the front end while turning the wheel back and forth, no rocking while jacked up

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna take two good used tires up there this weekend and get em mounted, hopefully that gets it drivable...

I guess we shall see