what's it worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

astewart1995

ImAwesome
Reaction score
My buddy is getting a 1 ton front axle for his 91 blazer. He wants to sell me his old one and a 205 trans case, so i can do a SAS. He told me to make him a reasonable offer on it. The problem is that either the gears are striped out of it or the dif. is blown, hes not sure which it is. In this condition whats the axle worth and whats the T case worth? And is this T case worth buying or should i find a different one?

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
no205 is one hell of a tcase. you can rebuild them pretty easily.... depending on how trashed it is... i'd jump on it myself. as far as the diff goes, it's pretty simple to rebuild those too. if it's completely trashed you can just use the housing, get new axles and carrier and just rebuild it... it'll be cheaper than a new one.... just takes time and knowledge. i personaly would give a couple 100 for the tcase if it's in good working order. the axle.... i'd not pay more than $100 since it need rebuilding.

astewart1995

ImAwesome
Reaction score
awesome. i think im going to start of saying $300-$400. this might be a dumb question but im curious, will the diff out of my IFS fit into a straight axle..?

also do you know anything about transmissions?

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
awesome. i think im going to start of saying $300-$400. this might be a dumb question but im curious, will the diff out of my IFS fit into a straight axle..?

also do you know anything about transmissions?
the front diff of your ifs will NOT fit the diff. it's a 8.25 ring gear. i'm pretty sure gm only used that carrier and ring gear in the front diff of the ifs. i'm not sure what diff the guy is gunna sell you. i'd offer the dude 250 and see if he'll take it. max i'd go is $300. and as far as transmissions go, i know to put trans fluid in them, and put them in drive. i can do a trans service and some seals. but i don't get into cracking them at all.

also, what np205 is it? if it's from a GM then the driveshaft wil be on the passengers side. if it's a ford it'll be on the driver side like it is for your np241/3. i think there are SOME variants but generaly speaking this is what i've ran into.

astewart1995

ImAwesome
Reaction score
haha im right there with you! the previous owner put a different transmission in it. but the transmission is pretty much just bolted on. the wiring harness on my truck does not fit it. so i have no reverse lights, the computer doesnt control shifts, there is no breather tube on it, my 4X4 is all sorts of rigged, and i had to un plug the trans lock in my brake pedal sensor. id like to know what transmission it is because it vomits fluid everywhere i park and id like to flush,filter, and put a new gasket on it. plus i think my torque converter is bad because it acts like a manual trans, but idk if thats whats wrong. it shifts into nuetral when stoped and doesnt always hook up (slips) when i hit the gas. its a 12 bolt with the crescent moon on the passenger side and a 1 plug prong on the driver side

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That front end is worth maybe $100.

The 205, it depends.

If it's a circle track mounting pattern, 27spl input and with a slip yoke rear it might be worth $100.

If it's a '91 VSS round pattern 32 spline input fixed output, it could be worth $600.

That range is just from stock GM cases. If you start including divorced Dodge cases or part swapped GM cases you could range from $50 to $900. Ford cases usually fall in between.

astewart1995

ImAwesome
Reaction score
can anyone tell me which transmission this is? and what could be wrong with it?

the previous owner put a different transmission in it. but the transmission is pretty much just bolted on. the wiring harness on my truck does not fit it. so i have no reverse lights, the computer doesnt control shifts, there is no breather tube on it, my 4X4 is all sorts of rigged, and i had to un plug the trans lock in my brake pedal sensor. id like to know what transmission it is because it vomits fluid everywhere i park and id like to flush,filter, and put a new gasket on it. plus i think my torque converter is bad because it acts like a manual trans, but idk if thats whats wrong. it shifts into nuetral when stoped and doesnt always hook up (slips) when i hit the gas. its a 12 bolt with the crescent moon on the passenger side and a 1 plug prong on the driver side