What trans is it and why the quick shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Transom Jack

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update, I actually fell off a 5 gallon bucket trying to adjust the TV cable and sprained the heck out of my ankle.

Anyways, I did get it adjusted per the GM directions and everything is working like it should now. Shifts into 2nd gear at just onder 20mph if I ease into it. will hold 1st gear until near redline if I put it to the mat. Also, it will not shift into 4th gear while running 30-35mph around town like it was before, heck, didn't even think that was a problem until I adjusted the cable. Truck seems to be a ton less sluggish as well.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Regards,
Darren

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome glad the cable fixed it. Was gonna say the newer 4l60e's have a quick shift to em, but then realized your truck was older heh. My car does it and it drives me nuts. supposedly they came from the factory like that. Makes no sense to me tho.

agent319

Reaction score
I have a question on this old thread. When I'm looking at the TV cable housing and when I operate the throttle back and for should the TV "adjuster" move in and out of the TV housing? Because mine doesn't. The "adjuster" is all the way back in the housing and it stays there when I operate the Throttle back and forth.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, it should. If your standing in front of it, there is a lock to the right of it. When that is off, it will move. other than that, it won't.

agent319

Reaction score
Yes, it should. If your standing in front of it, there is a lock to the right of it. When that is off, it will move. other than that, it won't.

Good because mine will not move when locked. So that part is working properly.

What's the chances this 1989 all original with 189,000 mile having a stretched TV cable? It's not shifting and when it does it slams into gear

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
The throttle valve itself is either stuck, or there's an issue with the governor. How's the fluid level/condition?

agent319

Reaction score
The throttle valve itself is either stuck, or there's an issue with the governor. How's the fluid level/condition?

I checked the fluid level and it's good. I drained and replaced fluid about a year ago. Still looks new.