What next...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I posted a thread of the truck I got for free awhile back. Thread us titled my free truck. My one gripe so far is this thing is freaking lonnnnnnnng. 2nd is I can't really find a lift for a 3500. I've contemplated finding a tahoe and swapping the drivetrain over..finding a short bed. Hell I even thought about cutting the frame and buying a short wheel base bed and moving the axle lol.

I'm just looking for advice from the veteran gmt guys out there. At the end of the day I still have a decent truck I suppose.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
that is a bad ass truck. first time i looked at the photo bucket pics too. did you use a paint gun and if so which one? i just did my hood with spray bombs and it came out pretty good. as far as the lift im pretty sure super lift makes a lift because ive seen a few trucks around my area that was a 3500 lifted. also my old 89 3500 had a 6 inch lift but i bought it lifted. do you have a 4wheel parts near by?

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nah i'm in jville NC so the cool parts stores are pretty limited. Not to mention if there is a shop around theyre gawd awful bc this is a military town. Towards the end of the year my wife and i are moving to shreveport when we EAS. I'm really excited about that bc like 10 min from where we're getting a house is highlifter park!.
Ive got some lift blocks for the rear of the truck but wasnt sure how much i could crank before it'd start tearing things up. That and its sitting about lvl now. I'm not a huge fan of rake on a 4x4. As far as the superlift goes ill just dig deeper i suppose.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn if i went 6'' i'd have to get bigger tires my lil tires wouldnt look right lol
theres an updated link for photos i'm always taking pictures of the thing lol
http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x432/joshjuniorr/war%20wagon/

list of crap ive done:
primered: nason primer from autozone a dupont brand
top coat: hot rod flatz ordered from tcp global i think it was
painted fenders: textured metallic rattle can from the parts store
new smoked cab lights
new smoked headlights and blinkers
new grill for free from rock auto ( yeah hit me up for a story on this one haha)
18" wheels from my buddy for $100
new nitto trail grappler tires- probably the quietest mud tire ive ever owned
new 3 piece back glass
herculined the frame, bottom rocker panels, and the bed
new clutch and flywheel- the old flywheel was so bad it was cracked from the last driver
trimmed the bumper out front to clear the tires they only rubbed when the suspension flexed a bit with the wheels cut
small crank up front- i have some keys and blocks that i got for free but havent put them in yet. Didnt wanna max out the front end and put more wear on the already busted ass parts lol.
replaced a power steering line that was loose at the brake master cylinder as well as having a bad pressure fitting.
and i need exhaust. soon as i get some extra cash i think i'm gonna order a super 40 flowmaster

Also can anyone tell me what kinda driveline my axles are supposed to have. Had an older guy that i'm friends with tell me that a one ton should have a fully locked up axle setup. From what ive seen i dont have that i've got the typical one tire on each side slingin mud lol

Last edited:

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that is a bad ass truck. first time i looked at the photo bucket pics too. did you use a paint gun and if so which one? i just did my hood with spray bombs and it came out pretty good. as far as the lift im pretty sure super lift makes a lift because ive seen a few trucks around my area that was a 3500 lifted. also my old 89 3500 had a 6 inch lift but i bought it lifted. do you have a 4wheel parts near by?

most paint guys will tell ya. the finished product is only as good as the bodywork underneath

Also for 2k for a 6" lift would it be worth looking into a SAS swap for the front? or does that cost even more...

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
well it all depends on if you do the work your self or not. a SAS install kit is about $600. then you need springs unless you go 4 link which is even more for the kit($1200 i believe). then you need the donor axle which can be anywhere from $200 to $2000 if you gear it and replace all the parts. then new tires and all that. so the over all price depends on who does the actual swap. your truck would be bad ass SASd. and i believe almost all trucks have limited slip unless you order a different package from the dealer so what your saying sounds normal.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
being that i dont have a welder and i'm not that great at welding the ifs lift might be better for me lol
although i'm no idiot when it comes to trucks so ionno. ive got time to think about it i suppose tho. I like crawling over stuff so i'm thinking in the long run a SAS might be better suited to what i'd like to do eventually.

Last edited:

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
been reading over at pirate4x4...that sites' theme makes my head hurt lol.