What makes these trucks destroy distributor caps/rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is too large to fit behind the manifold. A small cap TBI/TPI HEI EST barely clears. I have run the CSFI Vortec injection with both a TPI and TBI ECM.
How about electrically? I'm gonna be running the early 454 factory 4bbl adapter and TB on top of my Edelbrok air gap manifold.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little plastic vent dome on those caps is pressed on to a vacuum nipple, hook up a vacuum vent system as shown. Each piece has a function. Check valve keeps fuel fumes out of the distributor for obvious reasons. Filter ensures no dirt or contaminantes enter or restrict the orifice or check valve or find their way into the engine. The orifice has a small metered hole to restrict the flow and prevent the system from being too large of a vacuum leak. Small amount of air purging through the cap all the time makes a big difference in preventing ozone buildup and corrosion from the ozone buildup. Vans and SUVs already have one port of the PCV adapter taken for the HVAC system. The Dorman PCV cap has dual smaller fittings allowing for the distributor vacuum venting system to be added without affecting the use of the other port. Trucks with air injection will already have both ports and both in use.
This is the kind of well thought out reliability upgrade that attracted me to
the GMT400 forum in the first place. When it comes time to dig into the
chore truck's dizzy, I will be implementing this.

Sincere thanks for sharing your hard-won expertise. :waytogo: