What is this part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Sierra

Reaction score
I'm posting this in Engine Performance + Maintenance because "if it's under the hood it's in here..." I recently bought a '99 Sierra and somehow hadn't yet noticed this seemingly stray part under the hood until today:

You must be registered for see images attach

Close up:

It was just kinda dangling there, right above the steering shaft as shown in the first photo. So what the heck is this thing?

Last edited:

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
By the shape it has looks like something that should be close to a radiator hose or something

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is a bracket to hold the wire harness, and that is why it is on the harness. It bolts onto the bolts that hold the master cylinder.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also it holds the wire harness up off of the steering shaft.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, someone left it loose mistakenly while the master cylinder was separated from the booster. Just slip the nuts off the master cylinder and put that bracket back in place and hang the harness back into it to prevent damage.

You can kinda sorta see it attached there in this pic.

Richard

99Sierra

Reaction score
Yeah, someone left it loose mistakenly while the master cylinder was separated from the booster. Just slip the nuts off the master cylinder and put that bracket back in place and hang the harness back into it to prevent damage.

Thanks! Looks like a quick fix, I'll bolt it back on today.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Typical work for many paid so called mechanics to do. Brackets and clamps are so over rated.

I have had work done and seen vacuum hoses stuck onto bolts or studs. I have always worked on my cars, but things like that are why I try to do everything I possibly can by myself.

LOUDRNU

Reaction score
I'm guessing you probably took care of the bracket already, but maybe this will help someone in the future wondering exactly how this bracket is attached here is a diagram & according to ALLDATA the MC bolts should be 20 ft. lbs.