What is the best starter to get for 94 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of replacement starters available. I guess that I don't need the best, but I'd like to get a pretty good one. Which one's are your guy's favorites? Thanks for the info.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does your '94 already have the mini starter? If so stick with that. DB Electrical has a price that can't be beat for them: http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1152-new-starter-chevrolet-gmc-cadillac-many-models-sdr0019-l.aspx

If you don't already have the mini, it requires shorter bolts. You MUST use the correct bolts, don't try to get by with washers or anything on the old bolts. Can't stress the importance of that enough. Bolts can be had from the dealer or this Dorman part # 678-107 they're about 4-5/16" long, which is around 1/2" shorter than the bolts for the large starter.

Richard

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think mine still has the stock starter. I have just 120,000 on it. Thank you for the info on the bolts. You're in Houston too? Go Coogs!

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that starter, but i was hoping to get one this weekend. Any tips on any other minis would be great. Thanks again and if I can't find a good one local i'll order one of those.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can get the mini anywhere, it's an OEM starter that began appearing on the trucks in 1994. They used to cost a lot more to replace or rebuild, so back in the day when they went bad, a lot of people replaced them with the more commonly available big starter. The mini is stronger and pulls less power from the battery, and these days they cost a lot less than they used to.

If you gotta get locally, it'll be from China but you can generally get them at any parts house for similar pricing. Not sure where in Houston you're at but I used to always get my starters and alternators from this place over on Aldine Mail Rt, called Wood Alternator. They're a rebuilder but they also carry new. I'm not on that side of town anymore so it's too far of a hike.

Richard