What color to paint wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys, I got some Impala SS wheels that the finish is in pretty bad shape. I stripped the clearcoat off but there is still some corroding. Before anyone says to paint them black, that is off the table. I hate black wheels. My question to you guys is, would they look good painted silver or does anyone have another suggestion? Or should I just break down and polish the poop out of them one at a time till I get them done?

Pics are actual wheels but they suck because it was dark and raining.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would at least polish the outer rim if you do paint the spokes. Or you could paint the wheels body color and sand and poloish the outer rim and the flat part of the spokes. The flat parts polish up pretty nice it's the sides of the spokes that are tough. My last truck I stripped and polished by sanding the flats with a DA with up to 1500 grit then buffing with a wool pad. Did the outer rim by hand.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you try to paint them I would hit the worst one with some 800-1500 grit then get a proper aluminum polish and the powerball cone. I brought some 20 inch aluminum wheels back to life years ago and the before and afters were amazing.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you try to paint them I would hit the worst one with some 800-1500 grit then get a proper aluminum polish and the powerball cone. I brought some 20 inch aluminum wheels back to life years ago and the before and afters were amazing.
cool, do you have the pics to post?

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i found where i had them and I must have deleted them all when I sold them. They are the rims on the picture in my avatar. Blue magic was the polish i ended up using. On the worst rim I wet sanded with 800 then 1500 than 2000 but these rims were trashed. I then polished them with the power ball twice and after about 6 hours a wheel they looked brand new. I suspect a 1500 wet sand and a polish would work fine.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i found where i had them and I must have deleted them all when I sold them. They are the rims on the picture in my avatar. Blue magic was the polish i ended up using. On the worst rim I wet sanded with 800 then 1500 than 2000 but these rims were trashed. I then polished them with the power ball twice and after about 6 hours a wheel they looked brand new. I suspect a 1500 wet sand and a polish would work fine.

Cool, I have a mothers powerball, not a cone, the ball. But I can try the sandpaper bit. I'd rather they were polished. Just got the new tires installed yesterday. 255/60R17 really fills up the wheel wells nicely.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would at least polish the outer rim if you do paint the spokes. Or you could paint the wheels body color and sand and poloish the outer rim and the flat part of the spokes. The flat parts polish up pretty nice it's the sides of the spokes that are tough. My last truck I stripped and polished by sanding the flats with a DA with up to 1500 grit then buffing with a wool pad. Did the outer rim by hand.

I agree. I did my OE rims like that on my 97. I used paint stripper to remove the clear coat then polished them out, and painted the outer sections black. You can see my reflection in the center cap.