What are these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought a new truck a couple of days ago. Has an aftermarket deck and speakers but the speakers are beyond blown.

I have one of these sitting on side of the truck behind the seat as well as two tweeters above the door. Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Those would be the cross-overs for the tweets. On the floor is just wrong! They should be mounted inside the side panels.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can move them, how do I know if they are working?

Also, can you recommend some decent but cheap speakers? Not looking to spend much on my winter/hunting truck but the ones in there are soo bad.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If the speakers are blown, then I wouldn't use any of that stuff.
They could be blown from a lousy install. If it's a poor install, maybe the speakers aren't blown & it's the wiring job that is causing the probs. Check that the '+'s & the '-'s are hooked up to the right terminals, all the way from the deck. I've seen some really dumb stuff when it cones to wiring in a stereo.
Any speakers would sound better than ones that are dead, but check ebay, Crutchfield, or C/L.
I bought almost $750.00 worth of stereo equipment from a place going outa biz for $200.00!
If it's a winter/work truck, you could get some 6.5''s for cheap from any chain store that would sound better than what you have now.
Most times speakers don't blow up from too much power. They'll blow more often from not enough power, then cranking them loud, which kills the speakers from the total harmonic distortion of the head unit, or amp.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gotcha thanks. The fronts are def blown, they look shredded. Is there a way to check the tweeters?

I'll get you some specs on the HU, it's an oldie.

Not looking for a BA system here, I just want non blown.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If the mid drivers are literally shredded, I probably wouldn't bother with trying to use the tweeters. They're probably still good, I just wouldn't bother.

Only way I would consider it is if they were high quality units and made of Ti. Some have a preference for silks, I like the sharpness of Ti's. Requires a bit of work to get 'em right though...

But I'd just buy a new set of components if I were you and then you at least know you're starting with a good set.

Those are passive crossovers by the way. Not a favorite of mine, but I'm also running a set in my truck right now on my MB Quarts.

Sometimes ya make do with whatcha got.

:)

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright. Sounds like ripping all the crap out sounds best. I have the specs for the HU. Lemme know if you need additional info.

JVC KD-AR360
Max power 50wx4
18 RMS x4 channels @ 4 ohms

Recommendations? What numbers do I need to look for?

I do not want to modify my dash, they need to fit. I have a set of eclipse components sitting in my closet for a couple years now because the magnet was too large to fit in the dash.