What are my options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walkerstyle

Reaction score
I have a 1995 GMC sierra reg cab short bed, with 5.7 and 4l60e, lifted on 35's. Im at about 182000 and starting to consider my options for engine replacement. Im only getting 11-12 mpg now and would like somesort of improvement, but I want alot more power than the >250 im working with now. i know the crate motors are geared more towards carbs but is there any tbi options? or should i start looking for a newer body style with the 5.3?

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You really need to weigh out how bad you want that 5.3 though...These forums make it sound like you can just drop one in (not saying these guys above but just in general) Back before I replaced my 350 I looked verrrry heavily @ doing this and got everything lined up. This isn't just you buy a 5.3 and put it in. You'll need a whole new computer, custom wiring harness, motor mounts, custom flex plate, engine, and not just any shop can do it. This takes someone real special. It takes a lot of research/work/effort to do. Also if your tranny also has that much mileage on it, then you can go ahead and plan on rebuilding that too regardless of what "new" motor you put in. 350 or 327 will break it, so be planned for that as well. These 4l60e's aint all that. With these truck you've got to plan for what could possibly go wrong because chances are it will.

My original engine was burning oil BAD, so I said oh I just need an engine. Bought the crate (used but looked PERFECT internally) wasted alot of $ getting it in and running. It had an awful rod knock a couple months later and the stock trans lost reverse. Ended up buying another motor (this ones good) and had the tranny rebuilt at the same time. Sorry for the long ramble but I'm a firm believer you should go ahead and rebuild that tranny or replace it along with the motor. A unit that old with 180,000 miles becomes one. Tranny gets used to that motor real well then all the sudden there's a new one with fresh power and then you're back @ square one.

Like I said sorry for the ramble but I promise reading this may save you a HUGE headache. Yes for sure go with the 5.3 but only if you're prepared and willing to do alot of research and hard work, oh and $...These type swaps seem simple but it adds up VERY quick. To be honest though if you want to go with a crate motor, put a cam, heads, intake, and full exhaust on a new 350 and I think you'd be very happy. The cam and heads on these TBI's are a joke.

wmiller1337

Reaction score
Keep the truck, but put in a Vortec 350 instead. Pretty simple swap. Unless you want to go a step higher, then swap in a 5.3.

walkerstyle

Reaction score
thanks for the replys. and i completely agree the 5.3's will scream but it would be a huge pain to swap computer tranny an just about everything. I do like the idea of a crate with some mods, but can I get a decent amount of hp out of a crate with tbi? i actually bought a 350 lt1 out of a vette and was going to put it in but i searched forever looking for wiring harness and seemed like every person i talked to had a diffrent opinion if it could be done or not haha. Ive looked for some tbi crates, but anyone know a good website or place to get one with decent power? and ps i agree the tranny prob wont be with us much longer its had a fairly rough life haha

wmiller1337

Reaction score
*cough* Vortec *cough*
Seriously though, don't waste money on a TBI. Way easier to reach your goal with a Vortec, and the wiring is not that difficult.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buy a vortec crate motor almost 2k then buy a tbi intake 350$ so you can keep your tbi do your exhuast and trans and be done with it. The vortec crate motor puts out 250hp and 330ft lbs of torque. its a direct swap. I think you would be happy with it. Then later on down the line you could do a cam and get a decent tune and have close to 300hp. Thats the route I think im going if I can ever make up my damn mind. lol

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Around here you can buy a fairly low mileage 5.3 say 75k miles with a trans and wiring and computer for 1k.

wmiller1337

Reaction score
I see 350 vortecs with less than 100k on Craigslist here for less than 500... The 5.3 would be more fun, but the added cost and difficulty makes it not so desirable.

Edit: Whoops, guess I quit reading to early. With trans, wiring and computer that's a good deal. If he could actually find that deal, then it would be worth it. Just do all the research before you buy anything, be prepared for whatever route you take. And always budget twice what you expect. I promise you, there will be a couple unexpected suprizes around the corner.