Well she's home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well two weeks at the mechanic and she's home. Drove it home from Beaumont at 80 almost all the way. I am utterly shocked how smooth this engine is. I kid you not with 364,843 miles on the original motor that has never been apart this thing runs smooth. Its a little jerky because of the 4.56 gears and shift kit but not bad. I would of figured by now it would be having issues. The mechanic put a new exhaust on it mandrel bent 3 inch new cat and muffler. He smogged it and said it damn near dropped zeros across the board after that cat was installed. It has tons of power.
I was looking into cleaning it up but man I simply don't think I have the time for it. It just needs so many things. The interior is gone. The exterior looks really good. Paint clear coat is peeling a bit but the paint itself is good.
I just don't know if I have the time needed to do this.

Hitting the needed highlights I just saw tonight.
Needs two tires
New carpet,
Seat redone
New headliner
New visors
New ignition switch and door locks
Dash lights need to be replaced
Ac needs repair ( not cold)
Door panels need new carpeting
Windows need new window whiskers
Rear glass needs to be replaced (slide not closing gap remains)
Paint job ( maybe not sure on that)
Possibly remove body lift
New front bumper ( coroners were cut for clearance)
Camper shell needs to be painted also and new shocks

Odometer pic taken a few minutes ago. Was 364,770 when I left.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Just take it slow and so small stuff when you have time

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was either that or get run over. Everything shifted right, no high readings on any guages, car wasn't making any weird noises. Smooth running. What's the difference between 65-70 and 80 really ( besides 10-15 mph) If something was gonna happen it was gonna happen. All these miles are freeway miles. Trans was rebuilt so was the rear end and the front ball joints. Truck purrs like a kitten not even a miss. Just looks like hell inside and the exterior has dents and dings. I don't see why it can't do 80 mph.
Doesn't matter. Truck needs more work than I'm willing to put in it. I was excited at first but after looking at the truck overall condition and the needed work I don't have the time for it. I'm thinking and leaning more to the I'm gonna sell it and buy something newer with less miles to use as a commuter option. I would love to keep it but right now I'm still debating the options. Having the AC fixed is gonna be the biggest hurdle in weather I keep it or let it go.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$420 bucks later and a compressor I got working AC. Now for ALL the little things I gotta start ordering.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
glad your getting it lined out,,i been fixing lil things on mine for a while now,,,next on my list is the door jamb switches,,and the elusive drink holder search continues,,,

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The junk yard near my house is having a 50% off weekend so I'm gonna go raid it. Hopefully I find a bunch of parts.
Plan on getting
Front bumper hopefully with fog lamps
Rear bumper
Fender flares
Seats
Center console
Cig lighter ( I dont smoke but this car has no power points.) I'm gonna find a blazer and yank the power points)
Driver door handle
Tray behind back seat and hopefully jack and the crank handle etc
Ashtray
Front bumper filler
Fender leading edge corners

I'm sure forgetting a few things.
I have to put my camper shell for sale and get rid of the broken slider and go to a non sliding rear window.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a front bumper with air dam and a good leather wrapped steering wheel out of a Tahoe.
Found a cig lighter so I have a power point now.
And I found a bumper filler and corners too. $52 bucks for all that so far the tally is
189 for new computer and two nail repairs
440 for a compressor and AC recharge
52 for chrome bumper, steering wheel lighter and bumper filler pieces.