weird turn signal problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
About a month ago my left turn signal started hyperflashing but I didnt have time to check it out. So the day before I checked the bottom bulbs to see if one of the filaments in the 1157 bulbs were blown by turning on the turn signals and then turning on the lights and turn signals. I had a bad running filament in one of the right bulbs. the right side didnt have a hyperflash problem mind you. So today I just pulled all the 1157 bulbs and checked the resistance with a meter and the bulbs all looked VERY old and 1 or 2 had some weird resistance so I just replaced them.

Now that I have 4 new 1157 amber bulbs both sides hyperflash and the side marker lights and the turn signals blink completely separately but the running light filament on the 1157 bulbs stays illuminated. weirdly the hazard switch just makes them all blink correctly.

Is this a wiring problem or a ground problem? The previous owner installed ugly black headlights but they worked fine up until a month ago...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're running all standard incandescent bulbs because you mentioned filaments? Have you checked all exterior bulbs, front and rear? If the contacts in any of the sockets are dirty or corroded you may have excess resistance in the circuit.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they are incandescent. I like the slow burn and blink of an incandescent bulb on these trucks. I thought the sockets looked pretty clean but I guess I will grab a can of contact cleaner. I meant to grab a can when I got the bulbs but forgot. its just weird it was only a problem on the left side before the new bulbs and now its both so maybe its not getting a good +/- connection on one of the bulbs.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear tail lights aren’t stock I don’t think. They look too new. I didn’t know the rear tail lights had a board in them?

Also, I just stopped at O’reilly’s and got some CRC OD Contact cleaner and cleaned the 4 sockets out. They were absolutely gummed up with yellowish-green gunk, but that didn’t fix the problem (they still needed to be cleaned because they were horrible.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
click here I recorded a video to show.

Are the side markers supposed to flash when the headlights are off? I cleaned the sockets here at work and did a pretty good job. I just cleaned the side marker lens and I can’t tell what’s going on.

SO when the headlights are off everything works CORRECTLY and when the headlights are on they blink back and forth.

I think I am going to have to change the side marker bulbs and the tail light bulbs tomorrow because something is screwy.

I replaced the headlight switch about 4 months ago because it burnt up when I was driving home one night and I didn’t have headlights which was fun.

Any other advice before I get all the bulbs tomorrow?

Last edited:

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m trying to trouble shoot everything tonight so I can have it fixed by tomorrow.

Something I just saw now that it got dark enough for me to see the tail lights.

When the brake is applied either right or left the brake light does not illuminate on the side that is indicating! But the brake light does illuminate on the side that’s not indicating. this happens with the lights on or off.

So in short the brake light doesn’t light up when indicating no matter if the headlights are on or off but does on the side not indicating.

Do y’all think it’s possible both boards are bad in the tail lights because my brake switch under the brake pedal is brand new. I replaced it because cruise never worked and neither did the torque converter lock up

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SO when the headlights are off everything works CORRECTLY and when the headlights are on they blink back and forth.

That's normal. When the headlights are off, the corner markers will flash with the parking lamps. When the headlights are on, the corner markers alternate flashing with the parking lamps. The only thing I saw in your video that looked wrong was the hyper-flash when you turned the headlights on. Speaking of...

I replaced the headlight switch about 4 months ago because it burnt up when I was driving home one night and I didn’t have headlights which was fun.

Knowing that part of the story, I'm thinking you may have a wiring issue somewhere. I'd check the wires coming out of that headlight switch connector very closely. Some of them may have gotten hot enough to melt the insulation and create a short.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They were absolutely gummed up with yellowish-green gunk.

That would be a combo of OE applied dielectric paste, lack thereof, and electrical corrosion. Probably should reapply some dielectric grease.

Double check the installation of the 1157 bulbs. There are two little offset tangs on the side of the metal of the bulb that locate it properly in the socket. It's possible to screw up the orientation and cause malfunctions.
And make sure they're dual filament 1157, not single 1156...