Weird "ticking noise" from column area - 93 yukon.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
I don't even know where to start on this one. When the wheel is turned and held to anywhere left of center, there is an odd ticking/rattle noise coming from the column area on the firewall. It doesn't matter if the truck is moving or not. It also doesn't change if you're applying pressure to the wheel (IE holding it to the left). When you turn it left, and let go, even stopped, the ticking is there. There isn't any real irregularity in force involved, the wheel turns smoothly through the full sweep from lock to lock, nor is the power steering pump loud or hissing. The box is somewhat loose on center, but it's always been like that. I looked at the box, and it's not pulling through the frame or anything. I can't see anything touching anything else that might rattle, either. I made sure the two power steering hoses were separated and non touching, either.

This one has me stumped.

Ideas on what to look at?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey I had this happen, but finally found the trip odometer gear wasn't meshing with the spools right. I reset the trip meter a few times and it quit. Thought it was steering column too.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
It was something very stupid, and odd. I've been listening to this noise for months, lol. I finally crawled on top of the motor and listened. Believe it or not, it was the freaking *fuel lines* rattling against the transmission tunnel. Bent them out just a bit = FIXED! :D