Weird shifting issue - 92 C1500 automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. The truck in question is a '92 GMC C1500 5.7L with an automatic trans (I don't know which one, or if there is more than one option either, sorry). I have a hunch this is a reman transmission but have no paperwork to prove it as well.

Either way, I've owned this truck for a year, put 13,000 on it, and never had a single powertrain issue until last night. I'm driving home from work through town (35mph speed limit roads, bunch of stop lights) like usual and 3 times, it seemed the truck would not upshift from 2nd to 3rd. Normally in my slow driving the truck will shift around 27mph-30mph, but it would not shift last night. I only got it to shift when I pulled my foot off the throttle entirely, then all was well again. The second time it pulled this crap on me, I was paying attention and slowly rolled off the throttle to see if maybe I just wasn't realizing how much pressure I had on it. So I'm rolling off the throttle, and eventually I have so little pressure on the pedal that the truck is now slowing down, still stuck in 2nd gear. Took my foot off the gas and the trans shifted.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it something easy like a shift solenoid? Thanks in advance for any help guys

PS: Trans fluid is still good, proper level, still pinky red, just the way it should be

JSIERRA

Reaction score
Check your TV cable from transmission to throttle body. Mine had same exact issues and the cable housing had spit where it bolted into transmission. Changed cable and all is better. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo