Weird power steering issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm not exactly sure how to deal with this issue, or what is causing it. I had a power steering pump go bad on me about 3 weeks ago, was making a horrible noise like there was gravel in it :S

I replaced it with a new one, with a new pulley. And yes, I used the correct tool to pull and press on the pulley.

Now heres the issue, at idle in gear when it is hot it makes the same noise, only quieter, and I really do not want to change it out again.
Did I get a faulty power steering pump, or is there another issue? If I put it in neutral or park it goes away, or if I rev it like 100 rpm over hot in gear idle.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
From day 1, my new, rebuilt P.S. pump has made noise. It whines like a worn one. Works fine, though. Apparently the machining on some are not as good as others. Luck of the draw?

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I guess so, just annoys me sitting in a drive-thru where I can REALLY hear it lol. I guess I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
When I did the hydroboost swap on my 97 1/2 ton the pump I got whined a bit no matter what RPM range, in gear, or sitting in P. Now it wasn't bad enough where I could hear it in the cab with the windows up, but at startup I could hear it with the windows down. Mine was an A-1 Cardone BRAND NEW, not a reman either. Pissed me off because of what I paid for it and the fact I really didn't want to pull the damn thing off just to replace it with one that was going to do the same thing. That's the only time I've replaced a pump, so IDK if it's hit and miss, or I would have been better off buying a Delco.

StevenL

Reaction score
I'm curious if a person replaces the Hydroboost without purging the fluids might cause any problems. Also, I wonder if there are any issues that might arise with the use of ATF instead of power steering fluid. My pump is the original equipment and makes a slight noise, almost a slight sucking sort of sound as if it is low on fluid. However, I recently changed the Hydroboost unit and did not do a complete drain of the pump and hoses, it was making a little noise prior to the change and still is. Until reading your post I did not give it that much thought. Now I will. Thanks for your post.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Very rarely have I gotten an A1 that didn't make noise from the start. I prefer to use Delco ones, But sometimes customers don't want to spend the extra $$.

StevenL, Most transmission fluids have a tendency to foam in power steering pumps. Ford issued a TSB regarding the use of certain fluids in power steering units. They prefer Mercon V is used. I usually use that Valvoline High Mileage Dex/Merc. Haven't seen any issues with that stuff.