Waxing after fresh clear coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just painted my bumper and clear coated it and was wondering how long I should wait to wax it. The paint and the clear both came out of rattle cans. I put 10 or so coats of clear coat on. Do I have to wait or can I wax it whenever?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere you're supposed to wait a while. I don't know how long though

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When ive had body work done on my truck was always told to wait 3 months before waxing

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At least two months.

The paint/clear will still be "outgassing" for quite awhile after the "paint" smell is gone. Applying a wax over this tends to trap this, and will cause premature paint/clear failure.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
That's right. I heard the 3 month thing is what automotive manufactures use on the new cars.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

And this is how much the color is off... Im hoping some color sanding and buffing will change the color..

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I was told at least 3 months as well. As for the color mismatch you gotta take into account that the trucks paint is much older so it will be a pita to get an exact match.