Want to find a stockish head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liroku

Reaction score
I want to replace my head unit with an aftermarket unit, but I don't want the modern look of them. Is there any decent head units out that kind of blend in like the OEM ones? I want it to look like it's made for the truck, rather than stick out like a sore thumb.

What?

Reaction score
It would be better to get once top of the line head unit that are over 5+ years old which would be cheaper than head unit with better sound quality. I'm using Mosfet Pioneer head unit that's about 10 years old. It still sound amazing, could be had for $20-$30 on ebay.com

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would be better to get once top of the line head unit that are over 5+ years old which would be cheaper than head unit with better sound quality. I'm using Mosfet Pioneer head unit that's about 10 years old. It still sound amazing, could be had for $20-$30 on ebay.com

Seems like everyone is quick to judge the Retrosound units due to the price, but speaking from experience they are actually very nice units. Worth every penny if it's the type of thing you're looking for IMO.

Liroku

Reaction score
What interior? For the newer style (96+ I believe) Retrosound makes the Newport. Not an exact match, and not super fancy, but might be along the lines of what you're looking for. I'm not aware of anything similar for the older interiors.

http://www.retrosound.com/product-p/1995-98-c59-c1-new-262-661-662.htm

This was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for, but $400....damn. I am not sure I want it that bad. Might settle for a cheap unit and upgrade to that down the line after this project is in its finishing stages.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alternatively, if all you really want to do is add an aux input capability for a Bluetooth adapter or something similar, then you might want to give this thread a look.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?198-Adding-AUX-Input-to-OBS-Stock-Radio

You can buy them pre-modified in this manner on eBay for around $150, but at that point I'd be looking at saving up a little more for the Retrosound if I were you. Just FYI, you can get the Retrosound for around $100 cheaper from other places. Amazon link for $330 below.

http://www.amazon.com/RetroSound-NEW-262-661-662-Newport-Black-Direct-Fit/dp/B00TE3ZZQ8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1439955818&sr=8-5&keywords=retrosound+newport

EDIT - The only downside to the Retrosound IMO is that it has no CD player. If you still use CDs on a regular basis it may not be the best choice.

Last edited:

What?

Reaction score
Seems like everyone is quick to judge the Retrosound units due to the price, but speaking from experience they are actually very nice units. Worth every penny if it's the type of thing you're looking for IMO.

That's actually pretty nice. I would consider this if I were to restore vehicle.

Liroku

Reaction score
Alternatively, if all you really want to do is add an aux input capability for a Bluetooth adapter or....

I don't have a CD player in my current one. It's just the tape deck. I mainly want USB, and Bluetooth for hands free would be a bonus. I would rather have it all built in than have adapters that hook to aux port. I may eventally get the retro. I like the stock look and this seems like the closest fit.

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna hijack(borrow) your thread if that's okay. I'm also thinking about upgrading my headunit for a newer one, are there any "ready-to-rock" kits available on eBay? Like antenna adapter, wiring harness plus the dash kit. I'm looking for high quality kits, not some scrap.

/nylanderz

mistaake

Reaction score
I'm gonna hijack(borrow) your thread if that's okay. I'm also thinking about upgrading my headunit for a newer one, are there any "ready-to-rock" kits available on eBay? Like antenna adapter, wiring harness plus the dash kit. I'm looking for high quality kits, not some scrap.

/nylanderz

crutchfield's pretty much does this for you. the one time i needed it pronto i got it all from them overnighted basically. but if you have time just get everything together in your cart on crutchfields, then put the part numbers into amazon and save money ;)