Walk me through torsion bar removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Looking for a safety lesson before I get killed by a torsion bar. Do I just uncrank the keys all the way and they pop out? I'm unsure of the correct way. You tube videos didn't help much.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to get a torsion bar tool to safely unload the pressure, and reload the bars.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
If this sounds too simple, its because it is. I used a huge C clamp and cut the swivel anvil end off (the ball of that end fits perfectly in the dimple on the key).

Anyway....get your removal tool and open it enough to fit over the cross member/key. Tighten the tool until its snug against the dimple on the key. This is when I make sure it's seated in the key and the cross member. If it looks and feels like it's seated correctly slowly crank the tool until you remove the tension off the existing bolt. Remove the bolt completely. Next, slowly loosen the removal tool until the tension is no longer there.

Voila! You're done with the unloading portion.

Sent from the Green Mile

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I've done it before by jacking the truck, putting another jack under the arm, popping the ball joint (was doing cv's so that all came out also) and them I just lowered the floor jack under the lower arm until is was slack.

Backing off the adjusters also gets it done.

Only thing to be cautious of in my method was the floor jack slipping. Even then, the bar is still captured on both ends. Stay out from under the lower and nothing bad can happen.

They are a complete biotch to get out of the lower if they are rusty....