W/T front end trucks headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys.
So two of my trucks have the typical W/T style sealed beam glass headlight where you have to replace the whole unit. ( i replaced the composite headlights to the work truck cause 8 got tired of having yellowed headlights. I came across these glass units that use a replaceable bulb. Used 9003 low/hi bulbs.
I haven’t installed them but it’s glass and look to be decent as far as construction.
lot took me a while to get them a d they seem to be out of stock a lot. They also come in the smaller size for the older 80s trucks and cars

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you sure those will fit? The W/T headlights are 5"x7"...

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If you choose the H4 halogen 6054 replacements this one isn't quite legal for anything but motorcycles, but according to Daniel Stern lighting this is 1 step down from the ultra expensive and difficult to find Cibie headlights for beam pattern.

Hella 003427011 Hella Vision Plus Conversion Headlights | Summit Racing

Free Shipping - Hella Vision Plus Conversion Headlights with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Sealed Beam Headlight Conversions at Summit Racing.
www.summitracing.com

I put these in my wife's Astro two years ago and there is a tremendous increase in clarity vs. standard H6054 bulbs.

Choose a bulb that is listed as an HB2 bulb.

Don't fall for the "Bluer is Better" nonsense. A 3200K to 4000K color light is easier for our eyes to see by.

Above around 4500K the blue light produced actually focuses in front of our retina making the image in our eyes out of focus.

This also increases glare and eye strain and can be noticed as excessively bright reflections from road signs.

Too bright reflections can also happen with poorly focused headlamp housings due to improper filament location or bad optics. Couple that with a "Bluer is Better" bulb and you won't like driving at night one bit.

The blue coated bulbs actually reduce the output of the bulb. The ones I put in my composite headlamp housings were awful until the paint burned off and suddenly I could see!

An H4 bulb's filament isn't placed as precisely as an HB2 which will alter the beam cutoff as well as the down road vision.

An HB2 bulb can also be listed as an H4 or a 9003 bulb but not all H4/9003 bulbs are HB2 bulbs!

These are among the best.

Philips Auto Lighting 9003XVB2 Philips X-tremeVision Headlight Bulbs | Summit Racing

Free Shipping - Philips X-tremeVision Headlight Bulbs with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Light Bulbs at Summit Racing.
www.summitracing.com

The blue band at the tip of the bulb is there to reduce the output of the bulb because it produced too many lumens to be a legal HB2 bulb!

The blue is not in an area that reflects off the back of the housing so it doesn't affect the focus of the headlamp assembly.

I have poor night vision so I did a fair bit of research on the subject so hopefully this will be a help to you.

If you want to learn WAY too much about automotive headlamps and lighting in general, you can go to the Candlepower Forum and Daniel Stern Lighting.

Make a pot of coffee and bring a Snickers or two. You're gonna be there a while.

My $.02

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I used to have something similar on my Probe. Make sure you use good quality bulbs and they will be much better than regular sealed beams.

81nascar

Reaction score
I have the HELLA conversion on my truck with the lower wattage bulbs that it came with. I didn't even know there was a "bigger" bulb until a little while ago. Might try it. That kit was top notch. The Assembly is very well built. They work pretty good.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The housing is the typical standard sealed halogen headlight housing you find on all work trucks or vans From Ford chevy and dodge. The big glass sealed beam halogen. I’m not sure why they have listed as a 7x6. They may be measuring the whole housing where others measure the face of the glass lens. Ive seen the headlight housings listed as 5x7 and 7x6 but it’s the same housing. The smaller 4x6 are for the 80s style dual headlights liek Camaros, Oldsmobiles, old Ford LTDs that had the quad headlights like the old Peterbuilt tractors had.
those willNOT fit the 88/89 quad headlights as those are even smaller.

I’ll throw a tape measure on there see exact size

Leburns

Reaction score
If you are interested in LED headlights, I have had these for about 6 months. Depending on the shift I am working, I either drive into work around 5-6AM or I am coming home at 2:30 AM. The beam seams to be well focused, I have been bright-lighted once in that 6 months. My wife even commented that they were better than her '16 Yukon. They are really good lights in my opinion, we'll have to see if there is any snow buildup this winter. Only down side I have found, the lens is plastic.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SteamDonkey

Reaction score
I have the HELLA conversion on my truck with the lower wattage bulbs that it came with. I didn't even know there was a "bigger" bulb until a little while ago. Might try it. That kit was top notch. The Assembly is very well built. They work pretty good.
What kit is that?