Vortec Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going to look at a 1998 gmc with a vortec 350. This is the first vortec powered truck ice pooked at, always been a tbi owner. The truck has fairly low miles with only 120k km's. Just wondering if thete is anything specific I should look for, common issues?
Thanks for any info.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, the person selling is original owner, so will know the answer easy enough.

Any info on the spider upgrade? I do remember seeing that come up in the odd post I have read.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
intake gaskets are the biggest one, look at the oil on the dipstick and see if it looks creamy at all, that would indicate the gaskets are bad and leaking coolant into the oil.

the spider you're referring to is just an "upgrade" (so to speak), its not really a problem fix, if he has the upgraded one on there, then cool, but if not, no worries...that upgrade was mainly made for california trucks anyways, so unless he's specifically put it on, I kinda doubt it'll be on there...

take a code reader if you can and see if there are any codes stored on the PCM....

other than the intake gasket issues, the L31 is a pretty solid motor like most SBC's.