Vortec swap in 87

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I built a 383 stroker for my 97 and decided to ditch that project. Im going to put that engine in my 87 k10. I know it's not a gmt400 but from what i understand it's the same as all the other tbi trucks. So I've read a lot of threads about this swap and I'm pretty settled on what I'm going to do. I just bought this truck and have no clue about the tbi setup.

I'm going to keep the tbi so I'm going to need a carb intake and adapter plate. I plan to ditch egr since there is no emissions testing in SC. The engine was built with everything for the 97. So i have a couple questions.

Will the balancer for the 97 will be fine to use in the 87? Using the vortec timing cover with crank sensor still installed.

Is there anything I need to do to the distributor for the roller cam or oil pump rod?

What changes need to be made to the cooling system, since they use different water pumps?

I'm planning on using all the orginal brackets and accessories off the tbi engine, if there are anything other problems that i may run into that you can point out, I would appreciate it.

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions once I really get into the swap. But I can't find any definite answer to these questions only references to them. Thanks in advance.