vortec starters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of great info here. A few more tidbits to add is that just because a truck had a Vortec engine does not mean it came with the mini starter. There are some of what I call a "mid size" starter which is still the large style but with a slightly shorter case than the old full size starters.

The mini is where it's at, whether you have a TBI or Vortec. As mentioned they did start appearing during the truck TBI era; right around 1994. I've seen some TBI-equipped cars older than that come with the mini, as well.

The mini is a higher torque starter and achieves that through gear reduction. They're tough little units. People used to shy away from them years back because when they went bad, they cost a lot more to rebuild, compared to the previous style. Now that they're far more common and parts are too, there's no cost barrier to worry about. You can buy a brand new (chinese) OEM style mini for like $50. Or the local starter shop (if one still exists near you) can rebuild your OEM mini for a very reasonable cost - far preferred to using an offshore copy.

The bolt size difference is CRITICAL. You must use the correct length starter bolts, and do not substitute anything else in their place. Most of you know but for the ones that don't, that crosshatched shoulder area on the bolt is what helps locate the starter in place on the block, without it in good shape and in the correct place (no using washers, spacers, etc. in order to use the wrong length bolts) the starter will move around under operation and disaster will strike. Broken starter nosecone, broken bolts, and even cracked blocks around the starter bolts. Seen all of it.

Richard

Reaction score
My 98 5.7L came with the old style starter from the factory. After going threw 5 of them in 10yrs [some lasting a week, a couple lasting a few years each] I said F it and swapped to the mini style. I read about the bolts, and ordered brand new mini starter bolts from the dealer. They are the EXACT SAME bolts my huge, old style starter came with from the factory. So check before you buy.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The old full-size starter uses a bolt that is about 4-5/8" long; the mini uses one closer to 4-5/16" - about 1/2" difference. It's been so long since I had a mid-size starter (the one you likely had on yours if it was factory original) that I can't remember what bolt it uses, but my vague memory on it would say the same longer bolt the full-size used.

Richard