Vortec Reliability after MPFI conversion and intake gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

What?

Reaction score
257K and counting on 4.3 Vortec. Still uses poppet injectors. Intake manifold gasket replaced once since 180k.

Less component it uses for engine to run, less parts to fail, which makes it easier to be more reliable.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chime in I’m on this old thread.. I have had a few k1500’s. Around 5 of them. All have been tbi except two. One 98 stepside which was a beauty. And this current Tahoe that I have. Also have 93 stepside tbi. For about a year. Tbi all the way for me. Easy to diagnose. Less electronics and sensors. Less computer.

tdc917

Reaction score
Both engines are absolute dogs in the grand scheme of things, but I’ve always found the TBI to be painfully gutless. Vortecs (when running properly) are much smoother and do wake up a bit under throttle. Reliability wise, the TBI is much better. Vortecs have the infamous injector issues, leaky intake gaskets, etc., as mentioned above.

The head castings are absolutely junk as well. I’d be willing to bet if you went to a scrap yard right now and checked out 10 Vortec cylinder heads, at least 8 would be cracked. I’ve never seen an 062 takeoff that didn’t have at least minor cracking. People drive these trucks around everyday with cracked heads and are none the wiser, until the fateful day that the exhaust pressure either blows a radiator hose off or coolant comes pouring out of your overflow tank.