Vortec Mystery Miss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I completed the engine swap in our 99 Suburban. I now have a miss. Using Torque, it shows up ONLY on cylinders 1 through 4. It's usually cylinders four and one. I've replaced the cap, rotor, wires, shuffled the spark plugs around and adjusted the valves twice. It only happens when letting of the throttle like after an acceleration or cresting a hill on the interstate. Never during heavy load. I've managed to get it in the 2-3 shift, but not consistently and it required a manual 2-3 shift during light load. I've run it in 3rd on the interstate at 65-70 mph and it didn't miss.

If I unplug the MAF, it goes away. Cool right? I swapped the MAF from my crew cab and nothing. The crew cab runs fine, Suburban still misses. Not cool. I've been racking my brains over this.

My only out of the ordinary thing, is the #2 plug was a little sooty upon removal the first time. MAP and TPS both appear good via the torque app but I've not had a meter on them yet.

I did swap in a Delphi mpi conversion during the engine install, I'm beginning to eye it as the cause.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but did you put the spider in right? The injectors don't go in a straight line.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I followed the directions and put them where the paperwork said to. I would think it would have much worse issues than this if two injectors were wrong.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at the LTFT via torque. Bank 1 is -2.7% and Bank 2 is -4.2%.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Realised that the trims were not changing as loss changed. Put the app on my truck yesterday and they bounce around as load changed, but in the suburban they were dead steady, plus the last time I moved the suburban I got a shift solenoid related check engine light. I'm beginning to wonder if my ecm has the bed.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I had this same issue out of my vortec. Like it bucked just as you topped a hill every time. Check your cam retard. Mine had a bent pin on the cam position sensor and was not engaging the plug. Cam retard stayed on -45° no matter where you moved the distributor. This was after my motor swap and it was not setting the CEL

Last edited:

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the crank relearn procedure done at the chevy place, I would think they would have mentioned it, but I'll give it a look when I get home this evening. Thanks.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Mine felt like it hiccuped every time you would top a hill and back out of the throttle. It was very hard to reproduce the effects unless you were just cruising and it did it on its own.